Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has used the cortland 12' 5/6 and if so what did you think and what lines worked well with it? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Cortland CL 12' 5wt.

I just got that rod from a rep & I haven't tried it yet. I will try it out tomorrow & let you know what I think. For $199 you can't go wrong! My guess is that a S.A. 6/7 short head or Windcutter 6/7/8 might be a bit better that a Windcutter 5/6. - Lawrence

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Cortland CL 12' 5wt.

Hello, it's cold in Bozeman but I just got a few new rods & many lines to try out & went out in the snow packed street. Actually fresh snow provides tension on the line similar to the real thing! No, it isn't the best way to test lines but it is pretty good. The first line I tried was a Windcutter 5/6 & it did load the rod well but it wanted a little more weight. As I thought, I put a Scientific Anger short head 6/7 & it made the rod come alive! I was suprised at the power of the rod & kept casting until I hit the backing. It is a nice feeling rod, less $$ does not necesarily mean less performance. A S.A. short head 6/7 or Windcutter 6/7/8 would be my choice & I would buy several densities of sinking leaders from Rio or Airflow to make it a real versitile set up. - Lawrence

1 - 5 of 5 Posts