Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for mid/long belly lines for a Bruce and Walker 17 ft 10-12 "Cairngorm" carbon

Will

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for mid/long belly lines for a Bruce and Walker 17 ft 10-12 "Cairngorm" carbon

Malcom where are you? Then on second thought I'm sure they are all off on the Spey.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yes opening day today, I will reply sunday too tired to think clearly

·
Registered
886 Posts
Speaking to people on the banks of the Spey no-one was really sure that they could remember this rod. The concencus was that it was one of the early carbon rods probably of the same era as the Walker series. Is it dark green in colour? Slow action compared with modern rods?

I would try it with an 8/9 xlt or Grande Spey, then work up from there, the rod was probably designed to throw a DT 11

Give the factory a ring Tel: 01487 813 764 Fax: 01487 710 367 Int: +44 1487 813 764 remember the time difference.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI
Thanks for the guidance Willie G:) The rod is black with fucia? wraps. I don't have much experience with modern fast rods ( coming from a trout bamboo background) ,that said :)- I tried it with a 10.7 grains/ft DT(10 wt) and with 70-80 ft of line it was loading into the mid section and casting pretty effortlessly - the butt section seems quite stiff and the tip very quick to recover, although maybe i,m not loading it up enough, i,m a bit new to speycasting:). I'll have a look at the Grandspey and XLT as suggested.

Will

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I tried it with a 10.7 grains/ft DT(10 wt) and with 70-80 ft of line it was loading into the mid section and casting pretty effortlessly /QUOTE]

It sounds to me like you may have already found a pretty good match.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MJC- that line is a hacked/rehacked/hacked again:) together practice line, just used to see what might be what- I dont have much experience with the new spey lines ( read advanced tapers etc) but from reading the board and Willie G's advice I,m thinking the Grandspey 8/9 might be the one that's in the right grain weight range- sounds like it can turn over bigger patterns and maybe light tips well ,which would be just the ticket.

Will

1 - 8 of 8 Posts