Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody,

I am really new to this "Spey-World", (I've been fishing for trout, grayling, bass, pike, etc.) but I recently got some nice rods on nice prices, tried them and hooked on the casting these beauties...:)
But to get the optimum from the rods I need a good line to start with.
The Airflo lines are the easiest to me to buy ( I have a dealer in close), so please recommend a few lines from the Delta Spey range to these rods:

-T&T 12'#8-4pc,

-Winston Lt Spey (not the Derek Brown type...) 14' #9/10 a very powerful strong-in-the-butt-rod.

...and I have a T&T 1212- 3 pc modell, with what I plan some tajmen(and danubian salmon)-fishing, -and maybe pike.
This is a different story, but if any of you have some experiences with this rod (shooting heads, etc.), please share with me.

Thank you in advance,
sk

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The T&T 1208 works very well with either the 7/8 Delta or 7/8 Long Delta Spey lines. The T&T 1212 is an overhead rod that was designed for overhead casting in the surf with either saltwater 12 wt lines or 12 wt shooting heads. It was not designed for spey casting, although you can spey cast with it if you drop down to an 8/9 spey line.

I've never cast the Winston LT 14 ft 9/10; however, I have cast my friends LT 13 ft 8/9. Based on his 13 ft LT any of the 8/9 spey lines will work well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Winston LT 14 - 9/10. I use a 10/11/12 windcutter (Rio) on it. I would assume that Airflows Short Spey in the 10/11 range would be a resonably comperable line. Just remember to STOP and load the rod.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
idmtgun said:
The Winston LT 14 - 9/10. I use a 10/11/12 windcutter (Rio) on it. I would assume that Airflows Short Spey in the 10/11 range would be a resonably comperable line. Just remember to STOP and load the rod.
Thanks, 'gun,

I tried the LT with a mastery spey 10/11, and it worked ok.
Do you tape the ferrules on the Winston, or just wax them? It seems to me that they come apart quite easily...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts