Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sage 15'x 9wt 111e on the way and i am wondering what lines you prefer for this rod,shooting heads or full lines ???, I will be swinging 2-3" wets mainly, in traditional and tube ties.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
I owned a 9150 GIIIe that could not get anything under 750 grains to work for me. A 9/10 GPS is a good one but it's discontinued and years since having cast that rod.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks "FishOn" I have that line,,,the gods must be smiling on me , i purchased it on the forum a few fears ago and will certainly test that when the rod arrives........thanks from the under -downunder.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Perfect - I think you should be golden then. I remember attempting a skagit head way up there somewhere in those grains before the GPS. I had to plug in a cheater just to get it going.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I also have that rod and fish a Carron jetstream on it. I tried a grand spey on it but was not happy with this one. I have also fished it with a delta 9 wt in the mint which is nice. The Carron works the best as it is over 700 grains.
Actually I just checked and the Carron is a 10/11 wt, with a 65 ft head. The grand spey is also a 10/11 wt but a 75 ft head , and the delta is a 9/10 with a 54 ft head. It is hard to beat that Carron. I should mention that I do not put weighted tips and only use monofilament leaders of proper length .

·
Administrator
2,471 Posts
I fished a 9/10 Nextcast FF70 on that rod and thought it was a great combination. If you just won that on the big auction site...you stole that rod. Very good buy.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The input is much appreciated gents, I do have a Carron at home, i will check it when i get back on Friday i'm sure it was bigger than 9wt , Montanafos, i was also very surprised when i got the rod at the price. that one completes my quiver now 11',11'9",12',12'6",13,13'6",14',14'3',15' and a 16' thats what i'm telling my wife anyway. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts