Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a light switch rod Sage 4116 ONE , What line would handle mouse flys alaskan style ? Would you cast overhead, because the big bulky fly would impede anchor type deliveries? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Now this is a darned interesting question.

On a light switch rod Sage 4116 ONE , What line would handle mouse flys Alaskan style ? Would you cast overhead, because the big bulky fly would impede anchor type deliveries? Thanks, Dave
Think you've hit a totally new one (question wise) here Dave. Just my .02 cents here, has been 'start with the fly, that will govern the leader, which will govern the line, which will govern what rod.' The reel could be an empty beer can. (Actually did that once.:roll:)

My only observation is with that rod, and wind resistant fly, it will be 'small,' like real-real small.

Looking forward to what far more knowable folks have to say.

Fred

·
Registered
210 Posts
I do all my AK mousing these days with a 5110 switch rod...I'm sure your 4116will work well too. I usually use a standard WF7F or Rio 5/6 switch line, using both overhand and roll casts. Have also used a Skagit head/floating tip (a floating mouse doesn't really hinder a water anchored cast), but I prefer the full standard line for mending purposes and imparting that "mousy twitch" to the fly (holding the rod tip high, twitching the tip, swimming the fly thru good holding water, slowing it down with mends).

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I like the Rage for mousing. A heavy mono leader long enough to provide anchor. If you size it in the scandi range, it will work for overhead when you want (in a boat), though I think it's more fun to spey cast.

Great bass bugging line too.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,306 Posts
I've seen the same size mouse patterns, Moorish Mouse, used successfully with everything from a 9' 8 weight with a standard WF line to Spey rods using 800 grain long belly line. I think it's just a matter of adjustment and you don't need a special line to toss them out. I sometimes use them on creeks where my rod is 11'6" with a Beulah Elixir 475 grain line. That line works well also. I would just use the same line and rod you use for your other fishing.

Ard

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Specially in windy conditions for Alaskan Bows I prefer the lemming shown below.

After many hundreds of days chasing Bows, it works better for me then foam based mouse. Foam based is not easy to cast either with spey cast or overhead cast ( SH or DH rod) in wind. The one below has better action ( OMO) and multiple times would bring bows to the surface while a traditional Morrish style were failing . Yes, it feels heavier but stays on the surface with butt just under water.

A floating version of Rio versitip Scandi ( 305 body and floating tip 65 gr with a short stiffer tippet) on CFB 5115-4.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I can't believe nobody has brought up a triangle taper. I would also think about brsinging a single hand rod, the part of the state I lived most of out mousing was done on smaller water and a single hander makes it easier to have direct contact with your fly, helps keep the belly out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts