Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Anyone have any experience with this rod? The grain wrangle is pretty low

Thank you

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lines I've tried...

I just started fishing the 5wt 11ft Helios2, have had it out several times... Picked up the Orvis hydros 3D switch line on sale from Orvis. I like the line so far, it's more scandi than skagit... I've used 10ft Poly tips with ease. Tried a tapered leader around 9-10ft when I wanted to do some dead drifting. The line makes noise when stripping through the guides...guess its their 3D texture. Some reviews point this out... I personally don't mind this noise, helps me change my strip patterns by alternating its rhythms on the water. Also helps carry a tune, we all sing to ourselves right? Heheh

My 2nd spool holds a 370gr switch chucker line which I match with light mow tips... I'm curious to try going up a few grains, or even trying the medium mows on the 370. Throwing 4inch intruders with sm/med bar bell eyes works well. I've found the rod likes to throw some weight. This past weekend I was out swinging 3inch cone head tube flies and hauled in a 4lb+ bass (my steelhead curse continues). I was stoked, the rod performed really well.

I'm curious to know what lines you've tried as well.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info. I honestly can't imagine going over 300 grains with this rod. For me, it's a a true super light single hand/switch and I'll use mostly dry flies with a Scandi head. I have a TNT 1195 that's very light but can throw just about anything with ease (extra 9 inches over the Helios)

I also have a TFO DC #4 11 which can barely toss a 3inc leach with barbells. I wouldn't do it again, it loves a 240-275. For me, I prefer lighter lines for both the fish and I find them less work on the water.

When you get north of 325 I feel as though you're entering robust 5 to light 6 weight which isn't really what I need. It's a lovely Rod and truly lightweight and I'm hoping it will give more feedback than the TFO. (Not that the TFO is bad in any manner, I love it)

I use to use poly leaders, but I don't find them useful unless I'm throwing skagit and need to get down deep. But I use a lot of weighted flies and I rarely need both a sink tip and a cone head. I'm sure you're environment calls for that (and I'm jealous) but here, there's just really no need.

I think people overweight their rods more often than not (not suggesting you do) but I find I get more out of my Rod the lighter I go in grains.

I try to stay around 300 or less. I'm impressed if you manage 370! I'd drive her slow though :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Further inaight on the Orvis Hydros 3D Switch Line.

I was out with some friends loch fishing for rainbows the other weekend. Pulled out the helios switch 5wt towards the end of day to practice some still water snake rolls, snaps and spey casts. I let a friend cast the rod with the hydros 5wt switch line. I told him i had yet to exclusivley love this line and felt it serves better as a multi-purpose option. I've only really spey casted this line in rivers.
Well... he showed me otherwise, having solely fishes switch rods with single hand technique. After a few back casts to gauge the rods timing and hauls to speed the line, he had the hydros switch line shooting well over 120ft with ease. I stood there in awe..while taking in all the observation data I could. I now have a whole new still water purpose for this rod. Lakes, bugs and bass.... :)

Any updates on your end J.James?

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey RaZ! How goes it?

Congrats on the bass! Must have been fun towing that around! I'm not familiar with Orvis' Hydros line. I do really enjoy Beulah's V2 elixer which in this weight as a 5er is a switch line. It's so nice at 300grains. I also like Rio Max Short at 325 when I need to get down. I have a nice 6ft tip of t8 that never complains but I have to remember to slow my cast down a bit unlike the elixer which just gets up and goes

I'm not surprised at all. What I later learned about your Rod is that it is one of only three rods (I'm aware of) that has the nano syntrax resin properties that make it basically unbelievably strong and light. The other rods are the Beulah Opal and the Hardy Zenith? One of Hardys rod lines.

The Opal is more in line with the H2 and it will sing enormous distances OH or with switch lines. In fact they supposedly are nearly identical in buil but not components. The H1 series (which I have) is not quite as performance oriented but lovely nontheless. I find my 11 ft switch Helios will cast as far as my T&T 11'9. Which is saying something as T&T rods are super tippy but they perform in a different manner. I like them both for different reasons. Longer length is easier to cast but I lose more flies on the T&T from not slowing my cast down than any Rod I've ever owned.

I'm currently courting my Helios 7w Spey and find her to be a real treasure. I get excited every time we meet ;)

Stay in touch!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I'm not surprised at all. What I later learned about your Rod is that it is one of only three rods (I'm aware of) that has the nano syntrax resin properties that make it basically unbelievably strong and light. The other rods are the Beulah Opal and the Hardy Zenith? One of Hardys rod lines.
I think Helios blanks are cured in autoclave and there the high pressure "pushes" more resin out of the matrix and makes blank light. Nano resin rods like Hardy Sintrix and Loomis NRX seems to be strong but not as light as Orvis Helios and Sage Connetic technology blanks.

Esa

1 - 6 of 6 Posts