Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently test drove a CND 9'8" speytracker 6/7 with a SA XXD WF6F. The line performed well overhead, but did not roll well with split shot attached to the leader. What type of floating line (i.e., steelhead taper, spey, windcutter, windcutter spey, nymph) would roll cast a weighted leader best with this rod? Is there one floating line that would cover both wet (split shot) and dry applications? I'm starting to think that I will need at least two different lines.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
This is a tough question. I have not fished the rod with split shot. My best guess is that something like the Windcutter would do well.

Have you experimented with single hand spey casts? You might find that they are quite a bit more dynamic and may have the juice to turn your shot over. I have a #6 Partridge Resevoir line that so far appears to spey cast fairly well. I bet if you had some extended belly type single hand line like a SA's Steelhead Taper you could do the trick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kush,
Thanks for the tips on lines. I am not yet familiar with the Partridge Reservoir line, but I plan on researching it. I am new to the world of spey (and do not know the terminology well) and was improvising with the Speytracker (a demo rod). Until recently I did not know that I was actually throwing single hand spey casts with the Spey Tracker. I was referring to them as "moving roll casts" when describing to a friend. Currently I'm fishing a tailwater at about 2600cfs flow (drowning level :frown: ) and have to get down in fast currents. I use shot because of the outside chance of a riser. For me it's the quickest way to switch from wet to dry. After studying the Rio and SA floating tapers, I came to the realization that one line cannot do it all. I agree with you about the Steelhead taper and also think that the SA Nymph taper could deliver the dredded shot. I love the 9'8" Speytracker with a 6wt XXD and would think it would for a make for a very nice lake rod, but I plan on trying some 7s. BTW, my first fish on the Speytracker was a 17" walleye on a #14 Partridge and Orange.

I'm hooked on CND. Old school action with modern materials. The loaner has been returned and mine is enroute.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts