Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your favorite (or un-favorite) lines for the Burkheimer 14'9" #9? The archives are empty on this, though Way Yin was very helpful offline about XLT's.

THANKS in advance...

·
Registered
147 Posts
throws a 9-10-11 windcutter with tips really well.. i doubt thats the line you want but it might help a little knowing that, did we cast it when you cam up or did we only cast your custom line? haven't tried it yet but i bet a 9-10 midspey would be good too..

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
My .02 cents only. For a 'tip tosser' a cut back 10-11-12 WC, for a straight 'dry line,' Way's advice on the xlt would be good. And I'd agree with the RIO recommendation above.
fae

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fellas, thanks for the suggestions

Here are some more findings:

* WC 9/10/11 for tips - nice, but short

* Midspey 9/10 for tips - nice, loads well, mine is 62' long (vs. 65' specs)

* Midspey 8/9 - ok dry line, but light load that doesn't access power in the rod

* Triangler Taper 10 (70' version) - nicer as a dry line, modest access to power

* Airflo Traditional 9/10 - decent dry line, forgiving, but only 78' (vs. 88' specs)

* My favorite tips line thus far is a based loosely on a Midspey 9/10, but longer.

Recipe: Take a longbelly WF12F steelhead taper (mine is Orvis closeout for $10), remove 5.5' from the front (at 10 wt diameter), splice in 12' of 10 wt line, and loop on 15' tips (9/10 wt tips).

Total length is 77', including a gradual 15' rear taper. It gives about 10' more working belly than my Midspey 9/10, and is about as much line as I can reasonably cast and carry when using Type 3 and 6 tips.

Looking forward to trying an XLT 8/9 on this rod

·
Registered
427 Posts
Loco, I have to think a XLT 8/9 would make that rod explode if it is anywhere close to my 13'3" Burkie.

andre

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andre -

Thanks for the cautious thoughts. My sink-tip line for the Burkheimer 14'9" #9 weighs 902 grains over 77', and the rod casts it with power to spare. The XLT 8/9 weighs 988 grains over 90'. It should be manageable, but I will try my XLT 7/8 first to be sure.

I had a talk with Kerry about this rod when I visited their shop to cast. He told me that this rod has two versions. A "soft" version that they mark with an "S", and the current version. The "S" version is apparently the original taper which some still prefer. It is softer in the butt section, that's the only difference. The current version I would suppose is the post-Choate influenced taper with a beefier butt section. I specifically wanted the stronger current taper. Kerry/Rob made the blank and custom fit the grip. I wrapped it and finished it.

what is the action / power of the Burkie 7133 compared to the Sage 7136? (that's a rod I know). I never tried the lightweight Burkie.

I know that you have the Sage 8150, as I do. The 14'9" Burkie has a roughly similar flex profile, but firmer, and in a different league in terms of power. Mine is actually 15' (not 14'9"). I requested a longer bottom handle, which they modified perfectly. I did explode my 8150 once, which drove me to look for a more powerful stick. I'm a very satisfied customer.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I re read your post I thought you had the 13'9 not the 14'9", sorry for the confusion. I have not thrown that rod but I really like the 14'3" that I cast a few years ago. Now that the fish should start coming in we should get out and wet a line.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Andre, you asked about the 7133, It is got quite a bit more backbone than the 7136, at least the brownie, which is the only one i have cast. it casts a 6/7 XLT or a 6/7/8 wind cutter and really shines with a 6/7 mid spey..

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Web site??

Hay RobMeister ... when is Carry going to get his web site back up and running?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fred all that I know is that it is in the works, we have had signifigant problems with people he has hired I the past be patient even though you already have been:)

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
andre - that would be fun. I can bring both the 8139 and 9149, and you can form your own opinion of these rods, on the water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts