Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long delay I am finally getting ready to finish my ready-to-wrap 15 foot MKS 8/9. I test cast a 46' SPG scandi on one at Sandy but was wondering what you guys are using? I would like to line this stick with a nice mid-belly, a long scandi-rage type head that would be a hammer in the wind, and (don't get mad at me for this) a skagit head! I have one particular place on the mainstem Columbia that, ideally, you could make as long a cast as possible (200' would be usable if I could physically do it) with minimal back cast space. All opinions, especially the controversial ones, are welcome. For what it's worth, I seem to like medium to medium-light lines.

CT

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm using a 625gr Flight on mine for heavy tips. Have a 575 and 600gr iFlight coming this week for the rod. For the longer lines I've used a 9/10 GPS and Drury Impact. WA 55 8/9 is also a pleasure to fish on the rod.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Don't have that exact rod, but, do have a Highlander 7/9 (similar grain window) and the next-size-up MKS.

Based on those, I'd say, NextCast FF70 8/9, or, 7/8 for a light load.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone try a power spey on one of these?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nextcast FF70

I have the 15' Highlander and use a 730 gr Nextcast. Turns the fly over very easily. I've never used the Scandi Bob included with the rod. Try the Nextcast.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I built the same rod last spring and have both the Ballistic Vector and Vector XL, 55' and 65' heads in 9 weight, which cast well and like the bottom hand for power. I also used a 675 gr. skagit this fall on the Skeena system which was a bomb, easily reaching all necessary distances. This blank is super strong and responds best to bottom hand dominance.
Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
CT , while I do not have the 15' 8/9 MKS , I own the cousin to this rod , a 15' 8/9/10 Highlander (same grain window) , it was my first Meiser and so began the addiction :hihi::hihi:

For a mid belly , I enjoy my precious 11/12 Ian Gordon lines at 75' in floating , intermediate and slow sink . The weighed I.G lines come in at 842gr , 828gr and 807gr respectively . I found the 9/10 CND GPS was just okay on this rod . I also use an older version 9/10 Delta Long that is nice , but compared to the I.G lines , not as smooth . I bet a 9/10 Nextcast Fall Favorite or Winter Authority would be a good choice as well . The Delta II's have caught my interest as well for this rod .

Steve Godshall made me a couple Skandits with floating and intermediate bellies and are multi-tips . The floater is 43' @ 632gr and the intermediate version is 40.5' @ 607gr . Both take the same 15' Rio 11wt tips in all densities and cast like butter on both heads . I chopped back an old intermediate and intermediate/Sink 4 , 11/12 Vision Ace heads to 40' @ 617gr and they too are pretty sweet .

I have a 680 Scientific Anglers Extreme multi-tip Skagit for this rod and though skeptical at first for using a Skagit on a 15' rod , I am quite pleased with the performance of this match . Throws anything and everything I tie on the business end with ease . Just really need to slow down because the 27' head can be whipped around if you don't . I thought about a cheater set-up but decided that by just adjusting my pace I can over come the issue . Works awesome when you really need to get out there and are against a high bank or can't wade out far enough from that overhanging brush .

Hope this kind of helps :)

Mike

·
Registered
187 Posts
You are going to love this rod. Goochm gave you great advice. Call Steve Godshall. I have 5 lines by Steve and can't say enough about his line/rod matching skills. It will save you money to get the right line the first time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts