Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 7130 Sage Mod that I haven’t had the chance to dial in yet. Just curious what lines others are fishing on this rod. Looking for Scandi, Skagit and Mid Belly floater suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 7130 Sage Mod that I haven’t had the chance to dial in yet. Just curious what lines others are fishing on this rod. Looking for Scandi, Skagit and Mid Belly floater suggestions.

Thanks
I've fished it with sink tips using a Rio Skagit Max 525 and it was pretty dialed in.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've fished it with sink tips using a Rio Skagit Max 525 and it was pretty dialed in.
I found the 525 Skagit Max to be a bit heavy on this rod, 510 older Airflo Compact Skagit was really good. Jason (Portland Fly Shop, awesome shop!) likes the 480 grain new Airflo skagit line on it. I am also casting the 420grain Airflo scandi to be brilliant on the rod, but I like lighter Scandi heads. I still have the older CND GPS mid/long length lines, the 6/7 line worked well. Maybe will try the Delta II 6/7 line when this wears out. I keep the head weight to be around 130grains or less. Really like this rod, a lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the 525 Skagit Max to be a bit heavy on this rod, 510 older Airflo Compact Skagit was really good. Jason (Portland Fly Shop, awesome shop!) likes the 480 grain new Airflo skagit line on it. I am also casting the 420grain Airflo scandi to be brilliant on the rod, but I like lighter Scandi heads. I still have the older CND GPS mid/long length lines, the 6/7 line worked well. Maybe will try the Delta II 6/7 line when this wears out. I keep the head weight to be around 130grains or less. Really like this rod, a lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool Al, I haven’t heard to many people fishing the Mod with the GPS lines before but I would love to give that combo a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In the winter I just carry 10ft of t-8, t-11, and t-14 but I’m pretty much only throwing unweighted flies. I’m sure it could handle weighted bugs with those tips without any issue.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Another on the 525 Skagit Max. with all of the Mow Tips (I haven't used extra heavy), but felt the rod could handle the all. I also liked a Rio Scandi Short in 480, it was good in the winds on the deschutes. Love this rod a lot. 2 wishes for me. 1. it wasn't so green, and 2. they made it in an 8wt as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m curious up here in Alaska we don’t get many opportunities to fish true dry line methods, however, sinking scandi heads are very effective here with smaller flies... Have any of you guys tried some multi density scandi heads of the Mod?

·
Spey Is The Way
937 Posts
My wish is, I wish they still made this rod.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really like a 525 grn Tonic w/132 grn tips. A 500 grn Elixer or 510 Rage w/Poly's are nice.
Also loving a Rio scandi 3d fhi @ 480 and 6-8' of tapered leader.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’m curious up here in Alaska we don’t get many opportunities to fish true dry line methods, however, sinking scandi heads are very effective here with smaller flies... Have any of you guys tried some multi density scandi heads of the Mod?
Haven't tried multi-density scandi heads, but a floating scandi / rage with various sinking poly leaders and small unweighted flies works well.

Skagit: airflo compact skagit 510 and 540, both with 12 feet of t-14 and weighted flies. Both lines work great, it depends on what you like. Lighter tips are fine, too. 540 + t-14 makes it a bit of a catapult but great fun to cast that setup. Have not tried the Rio 525 yet but probably should.

Floating: rage 450 with a 10' floating poly leader for additional length/grain weight. There's probably a better setup than that, like a mid-belly, but it works great for me.

Fortunately the color doesn't bother me. Agree with Leo, I wish they still made this rod, my all-time favorite so far.

Also have the 6130, like it a lot but haven't fished it as much as the 7130.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haven't tried multi-density scandi heads, but a floating scandi / rage with various sinking poly leaders and small unweighted flies works well.

Skagit: airflo compact skagit 510 and 540, both with 12 feet of t-14 and weighted flies. Both lines work great, it depends on what you like. Lighter tips are fine, too. 540 + t-14 makes it a bit of a catapult but great fun to cast that setup. Have not tried the Rio 525 yet but probably should.

Floating: rage 450 with a 10' floating poly leader for additional length/grain weight. There's probably a better setup than that, like a mid-belly, but it works great for me.

Fortunately the color doesn't bother me. Agree with Leo, I wish they still made this rod, my all-time favorite so far.

Also have the 6130, like it a lot but haven't fished it as much as the 7130.
Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity is the Sage Mod 6130 and 7130 the same action wise or they have different personalities, such as deeper loading, softer tip etc.... Might try and find a 6130 someday..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity is the Sage Mod 6130 and 7130 the same action wise or they have different personalities, such as deeper loading, softer tip etc.... Might try and find a 6130 someday..
I have fished the 7130 much more than the 6130 but so far they seem pretty similar to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The smoke finally cleared enough to walk to the river and swing the mod today. I wanted to try lighter lines than I had been using. Started with the Rio 3d fhi scandi 480 and a 7' mono leader as it is a known combo for the fist pass.
Then the same line in a 440. It cast equally as well. A touch less feedback, but a touch more distance/line speed.
Final line was the rage in a 450.
With a 10' intermediate airflow poly.
I was surprised how much I liked this combo. I had a 480 with me, but I can now see trying a 420. Thanks to Al & August for pointing me in that direction.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts