Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last year or so I have been casting a line too light for my spey rod. Since I was not sure what I was looking for and since the rivers I seem to fish are smaller than most I bought a TFO 12.6 ft eight weight rod. I have been using a 6/7/8 windcutter lines with it. Although I can cast the line decently, I seem to be using my shoulder too much. What line would you guys recommend me getting for this type of rod? I was thinking about a Skagit 8/9. What do you think?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I find Simon's line recommendations to be right on the money. For your rod Simon's "A" rating for the WC is a 7/8/9 and his "B" rating is for the 8/9/10. Since you have been spey casting for awhile I would pick the 7/8/9.

For a skagit line for your rod Simon calls for a 450grn (7/8) with no cheaters.

Since everyone is different the only sure way to get a great match is to find a shop with demo lines so you can try some different lines on the water before you drop your $$$.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
You might consider buying the WC 678 upgrade

Steelie Mike said:
Over the last year or so I have been casting a line too light for my spey rod. Since I was not sure what I was looking for and since the rivers I seem to fish are smaller than most I bought a TFO 12.6 ft eight weight rod. I have been using a 6/7/8 windcutter lines with it. Although I can cast the line decently, I seem to be using my shoulder too much. What line would you guys recommend me getting for this type of rod? I was thinking about a Skagit 8/9. What do you think?
You might consider buying the WC 678 upgrade and replacing your tip 2. That is a lot cheaper than buying a new line.

That will add 16' to the head and over all length. You will add an extra 156 grains. That should load your rod and take some of the strain off your shoulder.

I have the Sage 6126-3 which is probably similiar to your rod. I use the WC 678 with the upgrade when I'm casting in a windy situation. That combo does a great job with either the WC 678 tips or the MS 7/8 floating tip.

Last but not least another economical fix is one I learned from Simon in one of his classes. The Rio 15' Steelhead leader and a few feet of tippet for the fly seem to make casting rods from 12' and longer, easier with the floating tips. However, you must have the right line weight to begin with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts