Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Orvis WFFF/S 10wt I am thinking about using on my Scott ARC 1196. Seems to toss it pretty good, a bit on the heavy side overhead, wondering if anybody has a rough estimate of what this line weighs in grains?

Jamey

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
These bits of information are best obtained from the manufacturer of the line. I have only cast an "orvis" spey line once, and it was manufactured by a major american line maker for them. If they don't have the specs, you might ask if they can ask the vendor for you.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Industry standard 1 hander

This line is an industry standard one hander, tip and body is at just over 40ft.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
My mistake, I wrongly assumed the notation WFFF/S meant 'spey' :tongue: The rest of the suggestion might still apply but thanks for the clarification just the same.

Out of curiosity, what does WFFF/S stand for? I got 0 results on the orvis site and google.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my mistake

Guess I have 1 to many F's in there, Weight Forward Floating/Sinking was what I was going for(WFF/S)

·
JD
3,610 Posts
line for Scott 1196

juro said:
Out of curiosity, what does WFFF/S stand for? I got 0 results on the orvis site and google.
I suspect WFFF/S means Weight Forward Floating, Floating/Sinking,,,as in sink tip.
Normally, a standard length weight forward line for a single hand rod is not going to have enough length/weight to make a decent D-loop to load a Spey rod. However, you might be able to make it work as a Skagit line. Three to three and a half rod lengths equals 35 to 41 feet,You might get that much belly out of that line, but I doubt it. And a 10 wt line (AFTMA std) weighs 280 grains, plus or minus 10 grains. Sounds awful light to me. A Windcutter 6/7/8 (55 ft head) weighs 455 grains. An SA Mastery Short head 6/7 (Skagit) line has a head length of 48 ft and a grain weight of 450 grains.
Are you trying to Spey cast this line, or overhead cast it?

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
line

Finally got it on the water lastnight. The body and tip come in at 43ft6in. It can be spey casted, but in my opinion would be nuch better if it were about 5ft longer, and a bit lighter, seems to be pushing the rod right into the cork. Although it will probably be good for small water, which is where I plan to use this rod the majority of the time.

Thanks all for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts