Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on another BB that there is consensus for spey line designations for heads, short bellies, medium belly and long belly lines that will be soon adopted by manufacturers.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
It's about time! Now much of the confusion about what wpey line should I get for my rod will simply go away. Likewise, the huge differences in line weight of lines of the same belly length and line size designation (re: Carron) will also vanish.

A hearty thank you to the line manufacturers and the folks from the line companies and rod companies who worked this out and agreed upon them as standards.

·
Registered
886 Posts
flytyer said:
It's about time! Now much of the confusion about what wpey line should I get for my rod will simply go away. Likewise, the huge differences in line weight of lines of the same belly length and line size designation (re: Carron) will also vanish.
Are you suggesting Carron lines are wrong in the line designation?
I always thought they were very close to the old AFTM rating unlike some of the others.

wrke said:
lummels
Here's my take on it with dims from my 10/11 floating line (sorry, I don't have an intermediate). Design is a somewhat continuous taper from tip to the thickest part of the belly at about 37'. It's then pretty level until 49'. Then a long (20') taper to the running line. Weight of the first 30' is 280 grains, which is exactly the spec for AFTM #10 single-handed lines. At 49', weight is 600 grains. At 60' it's 785 grains and at 69' it's 835 grains. I might be off a little, but these dims and weights are pretty accurate. Hope it helps.
Bill
So
10 ...........long bellied 860/55.8 seems pretty close to me.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bruce Richards - maybe you can enlighten us - saw that Ross Purnell posted info about your proposal?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
To Rick J, FlyTyer, willie gunn, all

I have posted a thread in the General Section re the new standards, titled: "New Spey Line Standards "

I posted it in the General Section since we don't have a section/folder for fly lines.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Flytyer, "It's about time! Now much of the confusion about what spey line should I get for my rod will simply go away."

Only when the rod makers label their rods with the range of line grains that the rods work best at.

If a one man operation like Bob Meiser can do this, the big guys should be able to do it.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
I've been thinking about the issue of rating rods with grains. Initially it made total sense, but then I thought more about it and concluded that grains can be squishy, too.

I can load a lot more grains using a long line than a short one. I guess this is part of the impetus behind the idea of "grain windows" but lets hope that the user/buyer knows their preferences in this regard regarding short vs. long lines.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My understanding is a S (or short belly line) will have a grain designation/length - say 40 feet and a L (or long belly line) will have a grain designation/length -say 80 feet and both be labeled the same weight line

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I think this looks good. Now rod makers can build to these specs as well and the need for a grain window will be gone. Maybe in a few years you can pick up a 7 weight rod and a 7 weight line and know they will work together.

-sean

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Willie Gunn,

You are correct about the Carron spey lines being very close to the AFTMA line spec for single hand rods. You are also correct that most of the other spey lines don't match the single hand spec very well. This is only one of the reasons we so badly needed a spey line standard that was not based upon the AFTMA single-hand standard. The spey standard needed to also include weight standards for 4 different lengths of belly, shooting head, short-belly, mid-belly, and long-belly for it to be useful since there is such a huge difference in the weight of each of these belly lengths.

Also, the new spey standards have an 11 line (which is what I always assume is meant by a 10/11 line) is 950 gr at 61.7 ft. This is a lot more grains than the 10/11 Carron's 835 grs. And is why most people who cast the Carron lines find themselves not liking the way it loads the rod until they go up a line size or two to get the extra grains they have been casting with other makers spey lines.

Grandpa Spey,

The rod manufacturers will have their rods designated with the new spey line standards within the next two years, and there are some current 2-hand rod models that will have their line designations changed to match the new standard. As far as putting the grain range on the rod, it will not be necessary with the new standards because just like single hand rods, 2-hand rod manufacturers will be able to design their rods so they load with the new spey line standards. Thus, havin the grain range on the rod becomes redundant and potentially confusing to those who don't understand the grain range corresponds to the spey line standard. As proof of this confusion, look at how few single-hand casters know that the line size designation is actually shorthand for a range of grains that will properly load the rod.

Like Sean put it so well, "Maybe in a few years you can pick up a 7 weight 2-hand rod and a 7 weight spey line and know they will work together".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts