Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I now have this brand new Midspey 6/7 spoooled up and waiting to be used on the new Loop 7116 that is sitting on the shelf waiting for spring up here.:(

I put a braided loop on the end of the Midspey so I can easily attach tips, or polyleaders.

Has anyone ever tried ( with any success) to put a braided loop on the end of a Maxima tapered leader ( home made tapered) or is it just better to tie a loop in the end of the tapered leader. If the braided loop can be used on the Maxima, does it or the simple loop knot give better turnover?:confused:

JimC

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Key term being 'successfully.'

Not on my end anyway. Even 'super-glue' and wrapping with tieing thread did hold for me. Second problem was it makes a 'in leader connection' that's way to bulky and promotes a hinging effect.

The few times I have an application for this I just tie a small
loop(s) in the leader material. The smaller the leader, the harder it becomes to undo the thing, so I stick with "looping" with 12# and up Maxima on tapered leaders. Usually no more than one; and not to the final tippet.
fae

·
Banned
103 Posts
I have vowed to never again use a braided loop connector. Regardless of the steps I've taken to ensure that the connector wouldn't slip, they always do. Maybe I'm not doing something correctly, but I prefer to stick with simpler loop to loop connections.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tie a perfection loop in the leader. Once learned its simple, strong and easy to adjust the loop size while tightening. Lefty's book on knots shows how to tie it. It also shows how to make a whiped loop on the end of a fly line thats worked well for me.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Ditto that...

... Lefty's book on tying knots is a great one, costs around $15 I think. There are many useful knots included, and the instruction is very simple to follow.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
loops

i dont know why you would want to complicate a simple thing. just tie a loop in your leader and connect to the loop at the end of your line. i use a non slip loop knot. most people only think of using this knot to connect to hook,but there is no reason you cant tie it without a hook. it has never failed on me. beau

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to agree that the perfection loop ( or other favorite loop) is the simplest and probably the best way to attach the leader.

The reason for my original question is that when the perfection loop is tied in 30 lb plus Maxima, it seems to make quite a bulky knot, and I was wondering if a braided loop system would give less bulk through the rod guides and good turnover.

It appears from the comments that it is not worth the effort or the chance of a lost leader, fly and fish.

Thanks

JimC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts