Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has probably been asked before but I'm going to throw it out there. I'm testing several new lines for a set-up I just purchased but can only test on grass.

What kind of set-up is used for grass and is it a good true indication of how the different lines will act?

Thanks in advance.

KC

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,399 Posts
The simple answer is there is no substitute for water.

If you must cast on grass to simulate a floating line and mono leader, make up a grass leader. It it just a tapered mono leader but the lower third has a double nail knot or blood knot tied every 3-5 inches with the tags left 1.5-2" long. These tags grab the grass and simulate water stick.

This works ok for simulating a floating line but I'm aware of no way to simulate a sinktip or full sinking line.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
+1

Sinktips 'nailed it;' no substitute for actual water but the above is as close as you can get.

Fred

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
I'm testing several new lines for a set-up I just purchased but can only test on grass.

What kind of set-up is used for grass and is it a good true indication of how the different lines will act?
Not even water is necessarily a substitute for water. Lines will cast differently on still water than moving water. A line you find loads nicely on a pond you may find is too much load when you get to the river. It's not like it will throw you into a different line weight but there is definitely a perceptible difference. And I'm talking full floating lines, there is no practical way IMO to test a sinker on anything but moving water, and preferably moving at close the speed you intend to fish.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Troutlless makes several very good points.

Not even water is necessarily a substitute for water. Lines will cast differently on still water than moving water. A line you find loads nicely on a pond you may find is too much load when you get to the river. It's not like it will throw you into a different line weight but there is definitely a perceptible difference. And I'm talking full floating lines, there is no practical way IMO to test a sinker on anything but moving water, and preferably moving at close the speed you intend to fish.
A given line will 'react' differently on still vs. moving water. Moving water adds a bit more 'drag' but helps lift your line to the surface (think sink tip for a moment). This slight drag helps you quickly load the rod.

With a 2hander you'll really see the difference regardless of the line being used.

fae

·
Registered
895 Posts
KC,

As pointed out, there really is no sub for water. Being in a Nevada desert, I'm surprised you even have grass!!:hihi:

Something I've tried that somewhat works (at least for me), to gain a bit more of an anchor on a "grass" leader is to add a small bead here and there on the little tags. Again, not a real sub for water casting, but it seems to help a bit.

The lines went out in yesterday's mail, by the way. You should have them in a few days.

-Bill

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill,

Good one! We moved from Michigan 4 years ago and miss the rain and snow deeply! Kids are about finished with HS and once in college we are out of here for good!!:)

Can't wait to try the lines thanks.

KC

·
Registered
309 Posts
Cast on wet grass

When i practice on grass, i found if it's wet (dew or rain) it feels a bit better. However, like everyone else said above, there is no substitute for moving water.

·
Registered
895 Posts
KC,

If you went through this past winter we had here, you wouldn't be missing it much at all!!

Take your time trying out the lines, I don't use them, and get to some water!!!!!

-Bill

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bill,

Thanks they will be getting wet in the Trinity soon.

Still miss I guess I would call it the east coastish. It's amazing the stuff you miss, thunder storms, fishing in a snow storm, humidity, trees, grass, mud it goes on and on. Life moves forward and changes shape you.

Now I get to fish.

North Ump
Trinity
Klamath
Des chutes
Rogue

There are always something positive.

KC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts