Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I seem to be somewhat successful using a Rio Scan. shooting head system for overhead casting. Now I would like to learn some real spey casts. I'm not sure that the shooting head system is best for a beginner, so what line should I use????

My setup is:

Sage TCR 15ft. 10wt., Ross BG #8

All help appreciated! Hunter

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jack, thanks for the reply. I've checked out your site -- cool. I have a newbe question. Why the 75ft head and not the 65ft head? This stuff is all new to me so I'm trying to learn the technology involved. Thanks Hunter

·
Registered
10 Posts
TCR - Snowbee 2D 10/11 Floater

Hi Hunter,

I've tried the TCR (with my great pal Gary Coxon - Sage UK) and our 2D 10/11 44g (680grains) makes for a great combo....worth giving MJC at the Redshed a shout for his advice as he stocks just about every Spey outfit available.....including Snowbee lines.

The main thing is you get a head length that fits the amount of room you have for the 'D' loop......the 2D has a head length of 62ft and is the 1st choice of our more 'traditional' spey casting customers here in the UK. ;)

www.snowbee.co.uk

Speyliner

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Hunter

get some lessons first. That will get you started without making all the mistakes most of us did. It also gives you a chance to try out a number of rod and line combinations.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Personally, I think a mid-belly line (65' belly give or 3') would be best. The mid-belly is long enough in the belly to require developing decent technique to cast it well and make 80'+ casts. The longer belly lines (75'-105') are best left to those who have developed good technique because the extra 10' of belly over the mid-bellies is much more demanding of technique to aerialize. That is why I recommend people go with one of the mid-belly lines.

By the way, the few times I've cast the 15' 10wt TCR, it was very easy to cast any of the 10wt (or 9/10) mid-bellies by RIO, Airflow, and SA.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Wow! That's quite a stick to be over-head casting. I second the suggestion of taking lessons first. Your casting instructor may have different lines that you can try on your rod or that he/she may want you to start with.

David

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Harley,

Yes, the RIO MidSpey is one of the mid-belly lines. The mid-belly lines have a belly length of 62'-67' and include the RIO MidSpey, Snowbee 65' belly, Carron 65' belly, Airflow Long Delta, and SA Mastery 65' belly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts