Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Speyco reel that I have been using for about 3 years. It is loaded with dacron backing, then Miracle Braid running line. Last year, I notice that when it is cold out, the line would just pull off the reel without the spool turning. But it was not much of an issue as I could only pull off a small amount. I fished the reel earlier this season without issue, landing several steelhead. Last time out on the Columbia, it was cold again and it did the same thing, but a little worse. Yesterday I fished the Sandy with a guide, 38 degrees outside and same water temp. I went to pull line out and it came off easily without turning the spool at all. I am assuming the cold weather shrinks the spindle area of the spool causing this to happen? Any fixes for this besides not fishing in the cold?

Thanks,

Wayne

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,850 Posts
Send Tim a Note

Does not sound like a mechanical issue maybe type of Line Backing or the way it has been spooled

Just a shot in the dark, hence the reference to Tim.. especially the cold weather variable

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Not sure how you've fixed the backing to spool? I always go around two - three times then affix with an arbor knot snugged up tight. Rewind back on with some tension. Has worked well so far.. best of luck.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Finding the answer & solving the problem at the same time.

Go to a large field*.
Take a rod (or at least the butt section) and your reel.
Attach reel to reel seat.
Attach end of line with a bit of old leader to a fencepost.
Walk away from the fence, allowing all the line, running line & backing to unwind from the reel.
Check your backing attachment to the spindle of the reel.
Once happy, wind back all the line onto your reel at desired tension.

*beware of the bull!

Mike

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think Speyducer nailed it, or use a manual line winder to accomplish the same thing. If you go for the field route, don't just watch out for the bull though, the cows can be pretty feisty too. When we were in middle school, a buddy and I were charged by a cow when we hopped a fence to fish a little farm pond that we had permission for. Horns or not, an angry bovine is no laughing matter!

·
Banned
894 Posts
I have gelspun on my scandi and have not had a problem so far. I also use an arbor knot with 2 wraps around the spool. I kinda wonder if the manufacturer knurled the arbor if this wouldn't be an issue as much. I agree to unspoiled the whole shooting match and start over using a decent amount of tension

sent from the North Pole

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
You can take the reel to your favorite fly/tackle shop and ask them to unwind and reload the spool for you. Have them wind it on nice and tight and level. And this is no bull : It will go on tighter and more level than winding by hand. It will absorb and hold less water in the spool while minimizing chances of backing digging into itself...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I did

Thanks all. The difference with it depending on the temperature it what is so amazing. It was slipping easily yesterday morning, today at room temperature, I could not make it slip. I ended up taking off all the line and backing, then wrapping some tape over the spindle, then winding on again. I figured the tape would add some friction and keep it from spinning. The option of going to a fly shop is not an option nearby. After I had done this, I wondered if maybe I should have put the reel in the freezer for a while, and then wind it on? Hmm...

Wayne

·
Registered
663 Posts
Also make sure when you pull the line it cinches down on spool.

One way spins on spool the other way it cinches on spool.

Do the arbor knot that way it can't pull loose.

Dan

·
Registered
441 Posts
Pound to a penny its an eggshell matt fish on the spool?,go to a sports field,run all the lot off right down to the knot on the spool,now cut it all off and re-form the knot. When you start put two or three full turns of backing onto the spool 1st then form your knot,then put a full turn of electrical masking tape over the whole lot,knot and all.Its all caused by slippage because the spool has a very slippy finish and your knot isn't tight enough allowing your backing to rotate on the spool spindle.Done like this it'll never slip again!!.
Happy fishing,Yorkie.

·
Registered
889 Posts
This has nothing to do with the reel or finish used. The backing was not wound on tight enough.

Using another reel, wind your backing on it from the reel where it is slipping. Rewind the backing back on the now empty reel with adequate tension. Your backing should be solid to the touch (squeeze it) after it is wound on. If it is spongy you will get slippage around the arbor. Don't pull it out on a football field, your fingers will not get enough tension on the backing when you put it all back on. Easiest to use another reel. Have a companion hold it with tension. Or you can solo it with your feet on carpet. Toes acting as a brake on the spool so you get the tension needed.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You can have all the tension in the world you want tinkerbelle',but if its loose on the spindle,rotate it will,most certainly.Do make sure you wind it all on good n tight tho.,your local tackle dealer will love to sell you a new spool and backing when yours either explodes or the spool is simply crushed by the tension you exert!.If you're that bone idle you can't be bothered to walk up n down a field for a bit and get it right,well good luck to you.
By the way,last count I have 11 spare spools for Hardy Marquis 3's and every single one has exhibited the same characteristics.Most certainly plenty of spools will never be affected in this way,but those of a solid shiny eggshell finish especially with Dacron backing will slip unless set up properly.The way I use is just another simple way of sorting it.
Tight Lines.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,507 Posts
That is a lot of spools for Marquis reels. :Eyecrazy: You clearly know a thing or two of which you speak. Do you own other reels too? How about any Olsons?

·
Registered
889 Posts
You can have all the tension in the world you want tinkerbelle',but if its loose on the spindle,rotate it will,most certainly.Do make sure you wind it all on good n tight tho.,your local tackle dealer will love to sell you a new spool and backing when yours either explodes or the spool is simply crushed by the tension you exert!.If you're that bone idle you can't be bothered to walk up n down a field for a bit and get it right,well good luck to you.
By the way,last count I have 11 spare spools for Hardy Marquis 3's and every single one has exhibited the same characteristics.Most certainly plenty of spools will never be affected in this way,but those of a solid shiny eggshell finish especially with Dacron backing will slip unless set up properly.The way I use is just another simple way of sorting it.
Tight Lines.
Sorry Mr. R...not trying to be cheeky with my comment. If your Marquis spools are still slipping you are simply not winding the backing on tight enough. Especially the first 100 yards on those spools. While I don't have 11 spare Marquis spools, I do have a few reels and have a wee bit of experience with this problem over the years. Get it tight and it will NEVER slip again.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I've had this problem occasionally. My fix is to unwind all line and backing onto another reel (you can skip this if you're putting it on new), tie a tight knot around the arbor, one where tension on the backing pulls the sliding end knot (such as a uni-knot) tighter, then put a bead of super glue around the arbor knot's first turn and let it dry.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only when cold though

But why does it happen only when it is cold out? It is perfectly fine at 45 degrees and above. No problems at all then. That is why I am thinking contraction and expansion with the temperature....

Wayne

·
Registered
310 Posts
Use to have this problem with my baitcaster reels and super braids, simple solution is to wind on some monofilament line just enough to cover the arbour.

·
Registered
889 Posts
But why does it happen only when it is cold out? It is perfectly fine at 45 degrees and above. No problems at all then. That is why I am thinking contraction and expansion with the temperature....

Wayne
Backing wasn't wound on tight enough! :chuckle:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts