Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a Loomis 14' 9/10 GL3. What size wind cutter would those of you who have tried the rod recommend? Thanks

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
My 2 cents only

The WC 10-11-12 for 'distance casting,' or the next one down for shorter line fishing work.
fae

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
wkp.
I use a 14' 8/9 GL3 with a 9/10 Airflow Delta Spey.It works great.You could use the same 9/10 line,or if you go to the 10/11,it would just load the rod sooner.
If you know someone who has one,try it to see what works for you.Good luck.
Neil Spey Laddie. :smokin:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the relies. There seems to be somewhat of a difference of opion as to whether a 9/10+ or an 10/11+ is best suited for this rod. I'm mainly going to use it for winter and spring fishing. I use a scott 1308 for summer fish. I will be using homemade heads with the Loomis most of the time.

·
Registered
344 Posts
wpk,

My most often fishing partner has, I believe, the same 2 rods. Using the GL3 in winter, you'll be fishing tips and the ability to boom casts will be slightly less important. I would go with the heavier line. My partner felt it needed a heavier line.

Curious, what line did you settle on for the Scott?

--Bill

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input. I originally used a windcutter 8/9/10 on the Scott 1308 but felt it was a bit sluggish. I switched to a 7/8/9 and feel that it loads the rod perfectly. I have heard of some using a 6/7/8 but for my style the above is great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts