Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to dream up a shooting head rig for casting to chinook this summer. The rod I'll use will be a Loop Green 9132. I currently have a Loop Adapted head which I use with 8 wt Rio tips cut down to 10'. Basically a Skagit set-up. Think this might be a little short to reach some holding lies. Any suggestions? I thought about getting an 11 or 12 wt. Powermax head (Type 8), and some floating running line (current set-up is Slickshooter).

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Ido not know anything about the river or rivers you will be fishing.However,I have fished spring chinook in three different rivers. all were close to the salt with bright fish.I was within 1 1/2 miles of the tidewater on two of these rivers and on the third I was from tidewater to 7 miles upriver.I mostly used ,as stated on other posts,a WC with either RIO type 8 10weight tip cut to 10 ft or 10ft of T-14.Both were mostly used with a compensator tip 2 instead of the floating tip2.I seemed to do as well or better than other guys with some heavier setups.If not I probably would have changed to protect my competitive ego,eventhough I try not to believe competition has a place in fishing.I believe the t-14 with compensator is equivalent to 24 ft heads and easier to lift for the beging of next cast and does not belly to same extent as a longer head.Beau

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Beau. The river I'll be fishing is similar to what you described (East Alsek on the Gulf Coast of Alaska). I have constructed a pseudo tip compensator out of the running line from an old SA Monocore, about 5 ft in length. The 9132 should handle the extra grains. Like you said, something along these lines would be far easier to pick up. That, combined with brass tubes, should probably suffice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts