Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty much settled on buying a Torridge. The next issue is the line.

Since I intend to use this rod for many things (overhead off the beach, summer-runs, Yak trout, etc.) I like the idea of an interchangeable tip system.

An inter-changeable shooting head system makes sense in a lot of ways, as does the windcutter system and the Hardy Mach 1 plus system. I also find myself wondering about the Rio Anadromous advantage system, or cutting up a Rio Steelhead line and making my own tips. Or maybe just make the good ol' Versitip system work for me.

The idea would be to buy one system to go on one reel, and save the cost of more lines/spools, etc. With this line, I'd speycast, overhead cast, mend while nymphing, mend with a sink-tip, and generally just fish my ass off.

I know there's a wealth of info held by you all--what does the collective wisdom recommend?

Thanks again!

Tom

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
Have you ask the dealer you are buying the rod from for suggestions? I'm sure he will have several.
For spey casting I like a 5/6 WC on that rod, although some of my friends think that line is a bit light. The WC 5/6 overheads nice on the Torridge. I also like a 9/10/11 WC belly with a 95 grn-15' (430grns total) floating tip.

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
What is the Torridge? Is that a new rod from an established company or from a new company? Is it one model, or part of a series?

I did all my fishing on the river Torridge in Devon, England as well as taught my schools on that river, learnt to spey cast (even caught a fish or two) and spent over 20 years learning about the wonders of this small salmon river - nice to see the name again!

I have fond memories of the Torridge......
Simon

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Simon: How about the Tamar? Does that ring a bell, too? Snowbee of the U.K. is a rod manufacturer, and they have two small spey rods (among other spey and single-handed rods). The Torridge is a 12' 6/7. I just bought one, with Snowbee's Scandinavian shooting head and running line. The Tamar is a little heavier--7/8, I beleive.

I got the Torridge for fishing off the beaches of Puget Sound, and for fishing for trout, char, and smaller andadromous species in streams.

Glad I could tickle your memory!

Tom

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're in the Seattle area, come to the Saturday thing in Carnation--there are a few of this size there, including the Torridge. In any case I will give my review.

Tom

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Torridge - Snowbee

Speybro said:
What is the Torridge? Is that a new rod from an established company or from a new company? Is it one model, or part of a series?

I did all my fishing on the river Torridge in Devon, England as well as taught my schools on that river, learnt to spey cast (even caught a fish or two) and spent over 20 years learning about the wonders of this small salmon river - nice to see the name again!

I have fond memories of the Torridge......
Simon
Hi, Simon

The Torridge and the Tamar are Snowbee UK and USA "Scandinavian" style rods that Bob Wellard at Snowbee UK designed and introduced this year (2005) specifically for smaller stream, shorter head fishing. Snowbee also designed a selection of shorter head (short belly - 44 feet) "Scandinavian-Spey" lines specifically for these rods (or any other rods used for short belly Scandinavian or Skagit casting). The Torridge is 12ft, #6/7 and the Tamar is 12ft 6in, #7/8. Both these rods work very well with Airflo Skagit heads and Airflo Scandinavian heads, as well as the appropriate Snowbee lines. I assume they would cast your appropriate Rio lines just as well. Both rods have quick, medium-fast to fast progressive "through" actions with Snowbee's Tri-Modulus Graphite system.

As the recently appointed manufacturer's rep and Pro Staff demo caster/product tester for Snowbee in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, I know these rods well and have the entire current Snowbee Spey rod line-up in my "kit," from the Tamar to the 16ft., #11/12 XS-P Salmon Spey. All these rods will be just a few miles from you on the Salmon River near Salmon, Idaho at the River Of No Return Speyclave on October 23, 2005, just a couple weeks away, where I will be doing demo casting (of my snap-v cast), along with several others. You should drop by and try them out, especially since I would like you to cast them all to get them on the Rio rod/line recommendations table at the Rio site.

If you find you can't make the Speyclave, I'll be bringing them by Rio headquarters for you to evaluate for the rod/line table sometime this fall. I think you will like the rods a lot, they all have very quick, powerful actions well suited to your preferred casting style.

Hope to see you there.

Larry Aiuppy, aka fliegenfischer

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
That makes sense! Snowbee being a Devon company.

The Tamar is also a Devon Salmon river, though it was 25 miles from where I lived, so too far to fish it often. The Taw and Torridge where 7 miles and 1/4 mile respectively - why travel when you have such good rivers on your doorstep?

Thanks for the invite Larry, though I am on the Missouri that weekend and will miss the gathering. It will be nice to try the rods with such great names one day.

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Torridge Fly Rod

Hi Simon,

Can't have a fellow Devonian not fishing a 'Torridge' I'll arrange for one to be sent to you.... I'm sure you'll find a line to match! Seriously, if you get chance to test a few rods with Larry we'd sure appreciate your feedback.

Hope to catch up with you again soon my good friend - time you bought me that pint of warm ale or was it good old home brewed scrumpy?

Best fishes mi-ansum!

Bob :D

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Bob

Y'um a proper boy, to zort me out like 'at. Oid be right plaised to try un.

Scrumpy....... I wish.... warm ale..... I wish......

Maybe at the Speyorama or the Sandy clave - are you going to be able to make either next year?

I'll happily buy me old mate a pint or two - whatever we can find....

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Simon,

Good to hear from you mate - I can probably only do one of the two, so it's looking very much like the Speyorama - I heard from Gary Scott how much he enjoyed last years event so it's already in the diary.

We've struggled with the water levels here in the westcountry - pretty much all of our rivers are very low with lots of fish waiting to move in. Still with the water cooling down a little, the fishing is more productive than it has been.

Went down to the Tamar to take a few pix for catalogues (Russell had a nice fish of 6lb)- the trees are just starting to turn for the autumn and it all looks stunning. The beautiful rivers Tamar & Torridge becon for at least one more day's fishing before we end on the 14th Oct. Then it's the down to 'Kernow' for the old grey backs on the Fowey - haven't fished it in a few years but fancy a chuck with a fly.......never was much good at drowning garden flies....far too skillful for my liking.

While I think about it, say hello to my pals at Snake River Outfitters - Lee and Nancy are just down the road from you in Rigby......great people who made me very welcome in their home last year!

Now then if you can get more beer like we had at the 'Winecoop' Denver (courtesy William Joseph - thanks guys)...I'm definately up for some more of that! :smokin:

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.