Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Redington Redfly 14' 9/10 that I am going to use for fishing sink tips with big flies during the winter. Does anyone have any experience with what weight/type of line works well with this rod? I've tried an SA Mastery Spey and a WC. I liked the WC, but it seemed to be a bit too light to really load the rod. Just wanted to see what was working out there for others who have cast this stick. I'm thinking either a WC or Midspey, perhaps. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
BEK said:
I have a Redington Redfly 14' 9/10 that I am going to use for fishing sink tips with big flies during the winter.
I use a 9/10/11 windcutter on that rod. Works great with tips and large, bird-like flies. Depending on how or where you are fishing, your casting style, and a bunch of other stuff that I don't totally understand, you might want to try one of the Rio Skagit lines on that rod. I haven't had a chance to try one on it yet.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
650 Skagit with a 5' cheater.

·
Registered
323 Posts
SA Short Head Spey

Try the SA 9/10 Short Head Spey and cut it back 15 feet for use with tips. I find this line on the 14 for 9 Redington will easily throw 15 feet of T14 and heavy Barbell eyed Intruders or Rabbit leaches. I find this line can be used for Regualr Spey Casts and although a bit long performs well for Skagit casting.

Ian

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
From our report on a similar, and lighter rod:

Redington Red Fly, a 13’, 8/9-wt, 3-piece fast action rod. Using a Skagit 650, casts all 15’ tips and all T-14 tips with ease. Casts BB300 more easily than 20 or 25’ of T-14. BB300 is ”sweet” and is the dredger line of choice. Will cast BB400 & BB500. Heaviest weight cast 1150 grains. All casts without cheater. Sweet range 850 to 950 grains.

I agree with MJC that you should add add a cheater for your rod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts