Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a hard time finding much user generated info or reviews on lining the Method 8119. I took it out with a 540 airflo skagit switch and liked it, but didn't LOVE it. Anyone have any lines / heads that they love with this rod? The RIO line app suggests a #8 RIO Switch Chucker... Anyone try that? Never used a head with an integrated line. Anyway. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Not tried the method but have used the 8119 TCX a lot which I believe is similar. I like the Airflo Skagit switch 510 is a really great match and I prefer it to the 540. the Rio Scandi Short VT in an 8 is also very good

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
Hello.. Would like to chime in with Neil W here. The RIO Scandi Short VT on this rod makes a smooth outfit. Yes, I use the same gear myself.. Yours borano20

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Will check those lines out for sure. Much appreciated. Anyone else have any additional line matches? Or any experience with a Rio Chucker with an 8119 Method or TCX? Thanks in advance.

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
This may not seem relevant, but I hope it is :) I fish the 8110 z-axis and love it with a 510 skagit compact (full length skagit) I have the 510 skagit short but I find it to be clunky and unwieldy. The 450 scandi sings, and so does the 480 rage. I imagine the 8110 Z and 8119 method take similiar lines, hope this helps!

·
Registered
92 Posts
What tips were you using with that 540? I love that line with 12' of anything on the 8119 Method. It's super smooth and the only distance limit I've found is my ability to manage my running line.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all, great feedback from the community. Thanks a lot. I took the rod out again yesterday morning with the 540 and 10 ft of T-11 and with a little shorter casting stroke it was really starting to feel good. I think I'm still getting used to the power/flex of the Method. I'm still going to look at 510 grains and 525 grains just for comparison and the scandi / rage suggestions as well. Many thanks, AJ

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah, with those short skagit lines you don't need a long stroke. The best thing I've found about the Method is that it doesn't seem to care if you don't line everything up. It recovers so fast that just adding a little oomph on the forward stroke will make up for a lot of mistakes on the setup.

You really don't need to give it much power other than that, when you go slow the rod casts itself.

I would probably try a 12' tip if you can, the 10 footers make it just a little easier to blow your anchor. The rod will handle the grain weight no problem, I usually fish 12' of T-14 with the 540.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts