Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happened to pick up a Sage VXP 71333-4 and lined it with Rio's 550gr Skagit Max 23ft shooting head and like it, it casts like a rocket but am wondering if anyone else has a recommendation that may be a bit more optimal and get me that extra bit of performance.

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
155 Posts
Love love love this rod. I use a 540 Skagit Compact and 450 Scandi Compact. I really like it. I would think about going up a line with the scandi and down one with the skagit. I have heard the 510 skagit switch is an awesome line on that rod too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
For a Skagit, a 525 feels right on it to me.

I also have a 7wt (520g) Airflo Tactical Steelhead that I really like on it.

My favourite line is a Nextcast winter authority 55 7/8. I would like to also try a 6/7 but the 7/8 I have flys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A quick follow up and thanks to all for all the advice on lines.
I went with the Rio Skagit max in 540gr and was able to get out yesterday for a few hours looking for an early fall run fish or 2.
The spot I went to has always produced when fish are in and I have fished it a lot and know where my normal limit is (big rock 2/3 across ~60Ft). After a few "get to know you" casts I went for broke to see if I could in fact make A: it to the rock B: it Past it. Well in my excitement to let 'er rip I stripped off a bit too much line than I needed and wouldn't you know it when I pulled the trigger, not only did I blow right past that rock but managed to over shoot the far bank, thus loosing a fly I had very high hopes for with the coming runs. luckily I have its twin so can put a few more together.
Being relatively new to the 2H game its the little things that get me pumped and keep me coming back for more.

BTW I did have 1 take, still trying to figure out how I did get a hook stuck in it, probably would have a couple more but a pinner low holed me and took home the 2 he pulled out and I called it a morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.