Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Pieroway MD510, MD400
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get my Pieroway Metal Detector MD 510 and MD400 set up. The designer of the rods recommended a Skagit Max Short in 525gr and 400gr for each rod. While I would like to have both Skagit and Scandi setups, it just too expensive to pick up all the different heads and tips to match. I was looking at the RIO Scandi Body a good compromise. The big question is what grain weight to get. I was thinking a 425gr body with the 85gr tips for a total Scandi weight of 510gr. However, the 425gr body seems very light for Skagit casting with T-tips as the tip weight is not calculated in Skagit style casting. Would I be better off moving up to a 455gr Scandi Body and splitting the difference between both Skagit and Scandi.
Thanks

·
The Skeena in the fall
374 Posts
On my Hardy 14’ #9 I use a Scandi body 455 gr with 15’ 125 gr rio tips for a total of 580 gr.
If not using regular tips I’ll go with a F/H/I Scandi of 580 gr and may add a 6 or 10’ versileader.
I realize your 510 is shorter and wants 510 gr. I would use a 400 gr Scandi body with regular 15’ tips weighing 109 gr (#8). Or get a Scandi Versitips #8 setup at 510 gr. Including tips. The Scandi body line is much like a Skagit and needs 15’ tips. The other Rio Scandi lines like the Scandi kit using versileaders is also great the 460 or 520 gr would work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also have a MD510. If you are new to spey I would use a 510 skagit, something around 22ft. A rage head is nice, and longer, but not good if windy, not for big flies or heavy tips. You can do anything with the skagit. The fish don't care which you choose. Heads are relatively inexpensive. Save money on running line and get some berekly big cat 30-40# solar green - no backing required!

·
registered text offender
1,362 Posts
i'm a big fan of the rio shorthead spey multi tip on rods as short as 12'. close enough to scandi with the floating tip (total 43' length), and for me, handles up to 13' of t-8 for tips in the 520 gr version. made for 15' tips, i use a 15' type 6 the most with decent size lightly weighted flies. wont replace a skagit for heavy tips and BIG flies, but a much better option fot tips than any skandi imo. use roughly the same grain weight as skagit recs for your rod. nextcast winter authority is also a good and similar option, without an integrated running line.

·
Registered
Pieroway MD510, MD400
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a great talk with the Rods designer the other day. I think I’m going to end up picking up a 400gr and a 525gr Skagit Max Short and some T-11 and T-14 MOW tips. I’ll likely add a SSVT in the spring for the MD400. I have an OPST Pure Skagit 7wt with a 325gr Commamdo Head, and while it is a lovely rod, I very much prefer the feel of the Metal Detector.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a great talk with the Rods designer the other day. I think I’m going to end up picking up a 400gr and a 525gr Skagit Max Short and some T-11 and T-14 MOW tips. I’ll likely add a SSVT in the spring for the MD400. I have an OPST Pure Skagit 7wt with a 325gr Commamdo Head, and while it is a lovely rod, I very much prefer the feel of the Metal Detector.
Just out of curiosity...how do those rods compare in terms of feel and performance (ie the metalDetectors vs pureSkagit)?

·
Registered
Pieroway MD510, MD400
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just out of curiosity...how do those rods compare in terms of feel and performance (ie the metalDetectors vs pureSkagit)?
I find the OPST is a fast action rod and requires a very compact “in the box” style cast. It works very well and bombs but I don’t “feel” anything. The Metal Detector has soul, I feel it load deep into the cork and is an extension of the arm. Simply put, it just feels right.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I find the OPST is a fast action rod and requires a very compact “in the box” style cast. It works very well and bombs but I don’t “feel” anything. The Metal Detector has soul, I feel it load deep into the cork and is an extension of the arm. Simply put, it just feels right.
Thanks for that. I've been wondering about these rods but never had the opportunity to try one. Its interesting that you sensed a lack of 'feel'. I always thought that Ed Ward desired a lot of feedback from his rods, but perhaps his unique casting style with these rods gives him the feedback he is looking for. I actually prefer not feeling too much rod bend into the cork so now I'm even more curious about these sticks.

·
Registered
Pieroway MD510, MD400
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that. I've been wondering about these rods but never had the opportunity to try one. Its interesting that you sensed a lack of 'feel'. I always thought that Ed Ward desired a lot of feedback from his rods, but perhaps his unique casting style with these rods gives him the feedback he is looking for. I actually prefer not feeling too much rod bend into the cork so now I'm even more curious about these sticks.
I’m learning more and more and one thing that rings true is that everyones “feel” is different. I still love my old sage rpl, but to me it didn’t have the same “soul” as the Sage LL. A friend of mine is the complete opposite and hates the feel of the LL. That said the Pure Skagit are definitely great sticks. Part of it may be that I’m using a 325gr Commando head on it. When I spoke with James at OPST, his recommendation was to try the 350gr Head to to get the rod to load deeper, but I have not had the chance to get the heavier head to see if that made a difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts