Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys...I'd appreciate some input here...I just purchased a St. Croix Imperial 10' 8WT which I will use primarily for steelhead in the great lakes tribs ... I envision scenarios of both drifting and swinging flies, and am hoping I can accomplish this with one line. I have not been able to find information on suggested grain weight for this rod specifically and I'd hate to make an $80 wrong guess...anyone have experience or knowledge with this rod to suggest a good line? Thanks in advance! Mark

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,079 Posts
Did you mean 11' Imperial Switch? Both Rio and AirFlo recommend lines in the 510 - 550 range for both skagit and scandi heads. First time I've seen this kind of similarity between the grain weights for these two types of lines. With that in mind, I'd definitely recommend getting to a dealer to test the lines on the rod. Also, contact Poppy at Red Shed Fly Shop. He will send you lines to try.

Hey Guys...I'd appreciate some input here...I just purchased a St. Croix Imperial 10' 8WT which I will use primarily for steelhead in the great lakes tribs ... I envision scenarios of both drifting and swinging flies, and am hoping I can accomplish this with one line. I have not been able to find information on suggested grain weight for this rod specifically and I'd hate to make an $80 wrong guess...anyone have experience or knowledge with this rod to suggest a good line? Thanks in advance! Mark

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
My friend has one in 11' 7 weight lined up with 9 weight (350gr) ambush line. My choice for to do it all line would be #6 weigh Rio Switch Chucker. It will roll/spey cast indicators and will throw polytips of your choice as well. Its a great new line, I like it a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one I got is a 10' 8WT...I have found charts for 11' 8 wt switch rods (which seem to be 2 line weights up or grain weight upwards of about 450 grains) and charts for single handed 9' rods (about 210). I've also had at least one person tell me a 10' rod should be looked at same as a single handed rod (in choosing fly line). However, I've yet to see a chart that gives specific guidance for the 10' rods...Ultimately, I realize that the best way to figure this out is to experiment with different lines, but I'm trying to cut out the time and $ it will cost me to experiment. Thanks again for all inputs! Mark

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I assume you have a single hand rod. A standard WF8 line which has about 37ft head weights about 260 gr. It you mostly Spey cast you could use slightly heavier and shorter head.

In your last post you refer weight of 210 gr but it is single hand standard WF8 or DT8 lines first 30 ft weight. Nova days a WF8 labeled line can weight what ever because most lines are not built to AFFTA standard.

Esa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts