Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a year 2005 - Orvis 12 1/2' Mid Flex 7.0 for a 7/8 wt line. The rod weighs 7 3/8oz.
I'm currently using an Orvis Wonderline WF-7-F Spey Type I - Short Head as a "trainer".
Does anyone have any line recommendations which might be better suited for this rod? I want to continue with a floater but also need to try and use sinking systems.

Thanks

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I think a WindCutter VersiTip 6/7/8 will serve your needs as a good "all around" line for that rod.

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Orvis 12.5' Spey

Thanks Poppy!! This is Greg from Vermont. That's the rod I was using on the Clearwater when Dr. Dave and I were up at your place in October, 2005. How's the fishing been this fall?

·
Registered
159 Posts
A friend in the local fishing club just bought the same rod used. We took it out and tried some lines on it. It was more powerful than I had expected. I really liked the 7/8 Airflow Delta. It cast well with the short belly but it was much better with shooting heads. A 450gr Skagit would be good. I didn't get the chance to try it but I think the rod would handle up to the 550gr. I was told it was a 7wt so I brought along a 400gr skagit. It turned out the 400 cast ok but was not enough grains. I suspect the 500gr would match my tastes. We also tried an Airflow Tactical head (Scandinavian shooting head 7/8) that was very nice too. I didn't expect much from that rod but it really surprised me. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been fishing that rod for several years now. I started with a 7-weight line on it and had a hard time with it. So I started moving up in line weight. I ended up using an Orvis 9-weight line with a 50-foot head.

I was watching Rio tapes and looking at books trying to learn Spey on my own and felt kinda foolish putting a 9 on that 7-weight rod but it was the only way I could get even a hint of a proper cast.

The next season I took a class from Jim Rusher and it turns out he has the same rod. I felt a lot better when he told me he casts his with a 10-weight line :) I have since tried a 10-weight as well and both lines cast nicely.

Step up a line size or two and see how that works for you. I have marked my lines every 10' and find that when using a streamer and about a 12' leader I can bring the 50' mark to my upper hand and single spey back out to 70 to 80' without working hard - strip back to 50' and do it again.

I've gone back to my 7-weight line a couple of time just to try it and I can cast the DT-7-F line I originally purchased but I really have to work to do it.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Remember

the weight standards are much different for a 2-handed rod. A #7 2-handed line of a #7 single hand rod would be a good way to break a rod from overload, and as found out a #7 single hand line on a #7 2-handed rod does not begin to load. Going up two line sizes or so with single hand lines will work. For example a #8 SAS line works well on my Meiser 11'7" for 5/6/7.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ted & Speyhermit,
I didn't make it clear in my post but the lines I mentioned earlier were Orvis Spey lines. A 7-weight Spey on that rod just doesn't seem to load it right but the short and mid-length spey lines cast well on it in a 9-weight.

I did try the 9 weight Grand head but with my limited ability I couldn't get beyond the head anyway :roll:

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Ted & Bill

Thanks a bunch!! I really appreciated the info.. I've only been doing the 2-hander for a year also and have the Orvis #7 Spey WF Type I Short-head. You're right. It doesn't seem to load very well. I knew Jim Rusher back in the early 90's when he owned Wittakers' on the Salmon River in NY.
My #7 spey line has 45' to the color line. The forward taper appears to be 6' - 9'. The Body is approx. .070" and tip is .043". I'm thinking of cutting back the forward taper and splicing 30' of .064" which tapers down to .035" to get a 75' head. I'm also wondering what I might do with that Orvis line if I wanted to convert it to a skagit. Any ideas?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.