Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this has probably been asked before so I apologize if it's overy redundant. I'm starved for information and instruction so your help to this poor FNG is greatly appreciated.

I started out with a Loomis GL3 9wt and bought a RIO WC 8/9/10 line for it. I had a terrible time with the rod and ended up buying the 13' St Croix 7/8. My primary question is this: Am I way over-lining this rod with the WC 8/9/10? What is the best set up for this rod?

I may as well ask here too, are there any instructors of avid spey casters in New Jersey? I need help.

Thanks,

Scratch

·
Registered
200 Posts
The GL3 is a rod that, in my opinion, has to be seriously overlined. I had lots of problems with it before I went to a heavier line. I have no experience with Wind Cutters but I think that line should work fine with your St Croix. I use an 8/9 Mastery Spey with the same rod.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
The Rio WC 8/9/10 is reported to be 585 gr over 54.5ft; I've taught someone to cast with their 7/8 StCrx using a 7/8 Midspey which is reported to be 560 grains over 65ft and it felt like a pretty good match.

The problem may be when sinktips are added, in which case the 7/8/9 WC may be the better choice at 525gr over 54.5'. For instance, the type 8 tip or a custom made tip you cut from a shooting head, etc.

I am planning on organizing a speycasting gathering soon most likely at Quonny in Rhode Island's south cty when the albies are running inside the breachways. If that's not too far of a drive for you, it might work for you.

I noticed you are from NJ, a few questions:

- are you overhand casting or spey casting?
- are you fishing for stripers or other species?

I ask because a spey line is not necessarily the best overhand line, for that matter a spey rod is not the best overhand rod.

Also, the 7/8 StCx is a very light rod for stripers unless you're catching mostly schoolies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BeBop,
I had heard the same about the GL3. I'm a rank novice but it was hard to load without cranking on it.

juro,
I'm interested in learning spey casting and that is my primary focus. I live right near the Delaware and have considered fishing for stripers but haven't done much of it. I think I've gone once with a spey rod. I plan to use the rod for steelies on Lake Ontario tribs like the Salmon and Sandy Creeks.. My ultimate plan is to fish fall Katmai rainbows with it but that's a few years out right now.

I haven't gotten rid of the Loomis yet because I've heard it make a good overhand surf rod, but I'm more inclined to go north and west than east.

When you state "The Rio WC 8/9/10 is reported to be 585 gr over 54.5ft; I've taught someone to cast with their 7/8 StCrx using a 7/8 Midspey which is reported to be 560 grains over 65ft and it felt like a pretty good match" are you suggesting that I may have too heavy a line on the St Croix?

My problem is that I haven't had any real instruction and have been winging it based on what I've read and seen in videos. Therefore, I just don't have a frame of reference for what "feels right"

Could I cut the 8/9/10?

Thanks for the help.

'Scratch

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Scratch, How does your 8/9/10 WC cast if you pull part of the head down into the guides? Simon calls for a 7/8/9 Windcutter for a "B" (newer) caster. I'm not saying your current line won't work but I think Simon's line recommendations are right on. Do you have a copy of Rio's International Spey Casting? In my opinion that video followed by Derek Brown's "Spey Masterclass" are the best there is. Take care, MJC

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Briarscratch,

The 8/9/10 Windcutter is too much line for the ST. Croix 7/8 2-hander. If you want to stay with a Windcutter, you really need to go to the 7/8/9. This is really a pretty gentle rod that doesn't like to be overlined.

The St. Croix is the rod I bought a year ago for my now 16 year-old's 15th birthday and I loaded it with the 6/7/8 Windcutter (the line Simon G. recommends for more experienced casters) because Derek tends to muscle a single-hand rod and I thought he would do the same with a 2-hander. I was right, he does and that made the lighter 6/7/8 Windcutter a good choice for him. I would have gotten the 6/7 MidSpey for Derek and the St. Croix 7/8 2-hander because the extra 10 feet in belly length allows one to develop better spey casting technique and allows one to fish most of the time without the need to shoot much line; but the local fly shop did not have one is stock.

Speaking of the G. Loomis GL3 9weight, you really have to pay attention to whether it is the 14 ft 8/9 or the 14 ft 9/10. This is because G. Loomis rates their rods on the basis of the higher line number, unlike St. Croix who rates their rods with the lower line number. This means if you bought the 14 ft 9/10 GL3 you actually have a 10 weight 2-hander and it would be very badly underlined with the 8/9/10 Windcutter, especially for a newcomer to spey casting.

If you have the Loomis 14 ft 9/10 GL3, you really need to have the 9/10/11 Windcutter or even the 10/11/12 Windcutter if you like to feel the rod bend into the butt on most casts. The 9/10 or 10/11 MidSpey work nicely on the GL3 14 ft 9/10.

If you have the GL3 14 ft 8/9, the 8/9/10 Windcutter will work fine if you are a more exerienced spey caster who doesn't want to feel the rod load into the butt on every cast. However, as a newcomer to spey casting, the GL3 14 ft 8/9 would probably work better for you with a 9/10/11 Windcutter or the 8/9 MidSpey.

J

·
0 Posts
For speycasting instruction in New Jersey, see Harry Huff at the Streams of Dreams Fly Shop in Upper Saddle River. Call first, as he is often on fishing trips, but he is an outstanding caster and spey casts very well. He is also a terrific instructor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
JR -

Just a reminder of the site's policy on direct promotional mentions (it's posted on the top of every forum) as this for non-sponsors.

Please send an email to this business per our policy -

CC: [email protected]

to bring our 100% focused flyfishing community of thousands worldwide to Mr.Huff's attention in your own words.

Thanks!

Admin

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Shifting Allegiance?!!!

Peter,
I like many of the properties of the AirFlo lines too. All of them are much better than those we had access to say ten years ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where can a guy find a RIO Windcutter 6-7-8 and not pay full MSRP?

If asking for specific referrals to commercial ventures violates board rules I apologize in advance.

'Scratch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts