Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am just finishing up building a 5wt Switch Rod, blank is a Rainshadow RX7 10'8". I plan on using the rod mostly for overhead casting on the beach for pinks, and on stillwaters, although it may get the occasional use on streams.

Should I be looking for a switch line or something like a Rio Outbound as i plan to mainly overhead cast with this rod. Your thoughs and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I built one of these some years back right after they first came out. They are rated 5 wt. but like grains more like other factory rods 4 weight (Batson's rating 140-280 grains). I use a #7 Wulff Ambush (265 grains) and a 270 grain Elixir scandi head. Both underhand cast very nice and load this little stick up without overloading. Both can be cast overhead pretty good. For a dedicated overhead line I would think a scandi-ish taper in a slightly lower grain weight might be the ticket. Integrated line or head, your choice. I've used the Ambush for wading trout stillwater with sinking poly's but mostly use poke's and other underhand casts but overhead works with a roll pick-up and then back/forward cast. These are still smooth casting, moderate action nice performing little sticks. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Like above it is a light 5wt, a 5wt single hand lines work on it for over head and spey casts. I use a single hand skagit head of 250 grns and shoots well. Its a fun little rod supper light and bends to the bottom handle with a 4# fish and landed up to 10#. I found the standerd 2 lines(single hand) sizes up for a switch to over load this rod, but every one likes a different feel.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually picked up a 250gram Snowbee Switch this weekend, thanks for the comments. Rod just had its first coat of finish last night so will be fishing it by next weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts