Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO!
Goose here,I just have a quick qst for anyone familiar w/ G loomis GLX spey rods.I have several of these but I am having a problem w/ my 13ft 8/9.I just cant seem to find a line that works well w/ the rod.Any advise would be greatly appreciated.I currently have SA spey and a Windcutter the W/C seems to work best but I still cant seem to find the sweet spot on the rod.What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Hi Goose

The GLX is a fast rod and requires a reasonable line weight to make it work. I use this one (among others) at my spey schools as it is a wonderful rod, but don't expect it to get a deep flex feel. I use the WindCutter 8/9/10 on the rod for myself, but load it with the 9/10/11 for beginners who need to get a "feel".

Hope this helps.

Tight lines
Simon

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
This is my favorite 13' 8/9 rod and it is the one I use for a large part of the summer/fall here in WA state. Simon's recommendations on the proper Windcutter to use are right on.

The SA 8/9 Spey is the one I like on the rod; but I would use the SA 9/10 with a new spey caster so he could feel the rod better.

I use either the 8/9 MidSpey or 7/8 GrandSpey (with a preference for the GrandSpey) for my own fishing; however, an inexperienced caster should use the 9/10 MidSpey or Long Delta and he should avoid using the long-belly Grandspey, SA XLT, or Airflow Traditional at least until he can consistently cast the shorter lines well at any distance he wishes to fish.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
SA Short or Mid?

Flytyer was that line the short head or mid from SA that you liked?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Flytyer re your 7/8 GrandSpey

I get the feeling that the 7/8 GrandSpey is a workhorse line for you.

What rods do you like to use this line with and what sort of fishing do you prefer it.

Thanks to you, it is my favorite line with my ARC1409.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Speybro, flytyer re my ARC 1409 and GS 7/8

I was thinking nice thoughts about both of you yesterday. I went to my local river hell hole to practice casting. I have about 25' of beach to cast from on a river with tidal flows, snags ready to grab your line or hook if you cast in the wrong slot and with swirling winds yesterday up to 35 MPH.

The conditions were so bad, my new rod, Meise's new coastal rod with an intermediate Striper line became work with 50 to 60' casts. Normally in this area, I can get 70 to 80' casts if I pay attention with Meise's new rod. The wind swirled so hard on one overhand cast attempt, the fly hit my pants and stuck. I wasn't hurt, and I decided to fold up that combo before I ended up visiting my wife's medical office.

So, I went to my ARC 1409, with the GS 7/8 with the floating tip, along leader (in fact the one Simon tied on in Sacramento a couple of weeks ago), two feet of tippet and flies from size 4 to 2/0 during his session.

Thanks to Simon's patience and great instruction, my double spey casts now often hit the other side of the river (90 to 100 ft.). Snake rolls went 60 to 90 ft, and when the river ripped upstream my much improved and still ugly single spey sent out across wind about 70 plus feet. All of this was river right with the wind gusting and changing directions.

In my old hands, the ARC 1409 and the GS 7/8 are a perfect match.

Thanks to Speybro for his great instruction a few weeks ago. Then thanks to Flytyer for recommending the GS 7/8 for the ARC 1409.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Grandpa Spey-

The GrandSpey lines are my workhorse lines because they have such positive turnover when used with sink tips, while doing admirable service with floating tips for dry line work, especially wind-resistent skaters like the bomber.

I only use the 7/8 GrandSpey on my 13' 8/9 Loomis GLX. In fact, I use it to the exclusion of my other lines on that rod.

The 8/9 GS is used on my T&T 1510-3 for long line summer work on larger rivers, and the 9/10 GS is used on my T&T 1611 for winter fishing or when fishing on a huge river like the Thompson. My 10/11 GS is currently not is use because it overloads every rod I've cast it on. I'm waiting for someone to make a 17' to 17'6" stiff, fast recovering, very powerful rod that will toss the 1500 grain 10/11 GS without the overloaded, heavy feeling. Perhaps in a year or two someone will put such a rod on the market.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Fly Tyer re Grand Speys as work horse lines.

FlyTyer posted, "The GrandSpey lines are my workhorse lines because they have such positive turnover when used with sink tips, while doing admirable service with floating tips for dry line work, especially wind-resistent skaters like the bomber."

With my limited experience, once you spend the time to learn how to use a Grand Spey with a rod that can handle a Grand Spey, you don't want to use another line with that rod. With minimal effort I can roll cast or snake roll the distance covered by a WC or MS if I do the cast correctly.

The last 3 years we have had incredible winds every afternoon that I have fished in N. California or S. Oregon. The Grand Spey just slams through the wind and puts the fly out where you want it.

No special casts or tricks are needed with sink tips, I just cast the rod and GS like I do with the floating tip. Once the line starts rolling, it just pulls the tips out of the water as the cast moves through the stages/steps and into the cast. In fact the type 8 and 6 sinking tips may come out and off the water easier than the floating tip and intermediate tips do.

Last but not least, the Grand Speys should be washed off after each use and then cleaned. With all of that line is hanging out there, you can have a lot of drag if your line is not clean.

·
Registered
260 Posts
A friend of my who owns a 13 ft GLX raves about the new Vision ACE shooting heads (rated 9/10). These shooting heads have a continous taper and are very easy to lift from the surface. Also, they are excellent for distance. I don´t know about the availability in the US, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts