Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, bought a 13 foot 8 wt cabelas lsi, battenkill V, now I need skagit line advise, thinking 575-600, looked at opst, rio and airflo so far, and would like some recommendations...go

·
JD
3,609 Posts
IMHO Skagit heads equate to big heavy flies. Period! Otherwise fish a Scandi/Skandit or something more pleasurable to cast. That being said, nothing turns over those big heavy flies like T-14! (work from the fly back. remember?) So,,, in order to turn over T-14, the tip of your Skagit head must have at least as much mass (wt/ft) as the tip it's trying to turn over. Make sense? Find out what diameter floating line it takes to weigh 14 grains/foot. That's your starting point. It never hurts to go up from there. I tend towards the upper end of a rods grain window.:D

You will hear other people tell you they can cast big heavy flies on this or that head, and on T-11. But will the fly kick over & lay out straight,,,,every time? If it lands in a heap, you have no control of the fly until all the slack has been taken up. You don't know what it's doing down there. Mr. Steelhead can taste your fly & spit it out & you will never feel a thing.

I have no experience with OPST heads. No doubt their heads in the 575/600 grain range are up to the task. As to what will work on your rod, it never hurts to make a phone call. I do have experience with the original Airflo Skagit Compacts in that range & can assure you, they are indeed capable of kicking over big flies & T-14.

Enjoy your new rod & reel.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,658 Posts
I agree with JD here. A skagit head is rarely my first choice anywhere. It certainly has it's applications but I just don't enjoy casting them very much. If you want to through big weighted intruders all day then a skagit is the way to go. For me this just isn't the case. I prefer to cast scandi's or longer lines. I find it easier and more versitile. Besides, I can't throw a skagit head for S#!T. I get it out there and fish it but it can get ugly. Ugly casts catch fish too. So do ugly fisherman.

Also a side note, I thought OPST heads were more designed for shorter 2H's, switch and singles. 13' plus might be a bit long for them no?

Dan

·
Registered
771 Posts
With a relatively short rod (13' vs 14+'), I would stick with a shorter skagit head (<25ish feet). A pretty well liked and standard line is the Rio Skagit Max. The Airflo skagit lines are also great.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I have a single 490 grain skagit head, for a Meiser MKS 7/8. Two tips I have for big flies are 12 feet weighing 155 and 185. Pretty sweet as far as that goes. Limitless. This is my winter line.

I have several short and mid-bellies from 400 to 600 grains (Delta, Delta Long, GPS among others) for all-seasons to winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts