Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Galvan Torque-10 which has a capacity of 10 wt with 250 yards 30-lb dacron. I am thinking about buying a spey line for the reel. What weight of spey line can I fit into this reel? Can I use this setup for my 10 wt one-hand rod? The setup is mainly for king salmon fishing. I might buy a spey rod in the near future and use the rod and the reel for king salmon fishing as well. Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Not very well, if same species fishing.

Spey lines have significantly longer and bigger heads, and so take up much more space than corresponding one handed lines. A reel with that capacity would be best suited to the smaller spey lines, which may not meet your needs.

As with any fly fishing, normal practice is to select your rod based on fly size and presentation, match the line to the rod and the reel to offer appropriate line capacity, weight to balance rod, and drag quality to species.

My best advice would be to get some time with a spey rod in your hands, preferably with an experienced caster who can show you the ropes. Try a variety of rods if you can, and hopefully on the waters and with the presentations you will want to fish regularly.

Welcome here, and to the world of two-handed fishing!
Carl

M

·
0 Posts
If you wanrt to use the one reel for both single and DH rods it is better if you change spools rather than change lines on the reel.
But then comes the question whether you go to using full spey lines or long heads with short running lines.
You might consider using the present system with lines with longer heads, like some of the new Rio lines for overhead casting with DH rods, these are 120 feet long with 36 foot heads. Again you could go to shooting heads, and use the longer 45' heads. Then you can tailor the running line length to suit both purposes.
Example I use a Talon 15 foot DH rod, and when roll casting I use a 55 foot Loop intermediate head with a 30 foot running line. When overhead casting I use a 45 foot head with 100 feet of running line. Casting distances are different. I could change things by simply changing spools. Actually I use two reels, but thats similar to swopping spools.
Your cheapest option is the spool swap. Max

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
There are three factors to consider:

a) reel capacity
b) spey line design
c) backing choice

It seems this reel will have the capacity to fit at least some of the Spey applications. This would tend to be lighter line ratings and shorter spey head categories. So let's say a 7/8/9 Windcutter, Airflo Delta 7/8, S/A 7/8, Hardy Mach I 8/9, Wulff 7wt Spey, etc.

However if you used a 30# dacron that made the 10wt WF line feel comfortable near the rim, the Spey line could not be put on the spool. You would need to go with a thinner backing like gelspun for the spool used for Spey.

Once you go gelspun to make room, most likely you will want a spare spool as Max suggested. This is because your 10wt line will be too far from the rim if put on the gelspun amount the spey line wants and your retrieve will be affected due to reduced diameter.

It can be done for sure, but IMHO it's not as trouble-free as finding another reel for the task with room for 200yd 30# backing and the spey line of your choice, long belly or not.

Welcome aboard,

Juro

1 - 4 of 4 Posts