Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to spey casting. Following some of these threads, I recently purchased the Dec Hogan DVD. While I wish there was a little bit more detail related to casting, what caught my attention from the DVD was that Dec would cast and then strip a loop of line between the reel and where he holds the rod before swinging the fly. I've often looked to swing a fly with the line direct to the reel to let the drag respond if a fish hits. What do others do and why?

Joe Smolt

·
Registered
646 Posts
Personally I don't use a "shock" loop and make it a point to keep my fingers off the line on the swing. I allow the drag of my reel to do the work on the grab. I have found this to be the most effective method for me.
Chris

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Lots of folks advocate setting the drag tight enough to sink the hook, but in my mind a drag set tight enough to reliably set the hook, is much too tight for playing a fish, and I'd rather not touch the drag during the fight.

That's the reason I hold a loop.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,474 Posts
There is a school of thought that advocates holding a loop and dropping it when you see the fish take. This applies to surface fly fishing. The theory is by dropping the loop, you give the fish time to turn witht he fly and hence get a hookset in the corner of the mouth. Others, like mentioned above, use it as a shock absorber for violent strikes.

Personally, unless I'm working line out (i.e. lengthening my cast every swing), I never carry a loop. Nor do I set my drag tight enough to stick the fish as I agree 100% with Philster. Instead, I trust my reactions enough to pinch the line to the cork until the hook is set and then to get my hands the hell off of the line. It helps that I fish fairly stout tippet relative to many.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I also pull a loop after between finger hold and reel, mainly using it to feed line as a means of extending the drift . Drag is set to avoid overrun when pulling line and palm of hand on reel rim is used as variable drag.

Will

1 - 5 of 5 Posts