Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been looking through my old lines. I've fished them all for many years (12-15 in fact). As far as I can tell they seem fine. Is there an age limit on these lines or a generally accepted time I should consider replacing them? Thanks.

·
fly on little wing
1,164 Posts
I should consider replacing them? Thanks.
yes. run (don't walk) to your local fly shop and update all you can. :)
that being said, previous posts are truth. as long as core is OK.
alot of new lines have better, more advanced tapers.
something to consider.......

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
In 1970, 51 years ago, I bought a Cortland 444 WF7F, the peach colored original ones. After many years of use, its finish was cracked in several places, and I retired it. After testing, though, it still turns over and floats, rather well. So as to the question of how long a line lasts, I don't know yet.:unsure:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've found with my lines, most of the wear and tear is on the running line and loop to loop connections (if applicable). Those are easy enough to replace. The heads don't see as much handling or passing through the guides a single hand line. Really just UV degredation or dry rotting, which is beyond what I know about fly line construction and lifespan. As long as the head has no obvious cracks, cuts, or damage to the core, I'd keep fishing it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes. run (don't walk) to your local fly shop and update all you can. :)
that being said, previous posts are truth. as long as core is OK.
alot of new lines have better, more advanced tapers.
something to consider.......
I definitely want to try newer tapers. I will have to get out and try some new lines. I'm not averse to having more choices. 😁

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.