Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the river bright and early this morning with the usual suspects. Beyond the icy guides I had serious trouble with the belly of my line icing up the first 15ft or so outside the tip of my rod. Felt like it added 150grains or so to the weight of my line. Really made casting a trick.

Any ideas on how to prevent this? Coatings or anything?

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
yo brother

i told you what to do. put the tip down above the water and shake it baby.

works for me.

G

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in search of chemicals brother.

Maybe a rag wool glove soaked DD IPA13 :saevilw: and rubbed on the line?

·
Registered
121 Posts
There Comes A Point

I'm willing to go as far a Voodo. Keep it all in the water, ( except the reel of course ), on the retrieve. Best luck I've had w/ guide icing is to hold the rod in the water a few seconds, swish it back & forth to push the ice off then a firm slap w/ the palm of your hand on the back of the rod when you pull it out of the water as a cave man dehumidification move. If the above is not adequately working, it's time to explore things like the SMOTMC or a gleam in the eye of your significant other or god forbid an alternative sport. There's no doubt some chemical composition that may help, but if it's that cold, those fish ain't bitting anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hisgarness said:
but if it's that cold, those fish ain't bitting anyway.
You'd be surprised. If GL steelhead waited for nice weater they'd probaly starve. :hihi:
Water is already at 38 and dropping quick.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had a crazy amount of anchor ice forming yesterday. I think that was contirbuting more that the line waiving around in the air.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Loon "Ice off" paste - do not strip line with casting, when playing a fish keep the rod tip high and wiggle it to get the drops of water off the line before they get to the guides/reel.
my 0.02 cents worth
speydoc

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The main problem was with my line. The body of an MS was plenty enough to fish the runs I was on. The belly of the line was getting coated up pretty bad.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Line Dressing Might Help

In the past, one of my cars came with the AutoArmor vinyl/fabric treatment to protect it for 5 years (right) and included a 6 ounce bottle to retreat it with. I found some at yard sales, too. It was made specifically to protect vinyl from stains. I apply it to a clean line, let it dry, then buff it (pull it through a clean t-shirt as I rewind it. It doesn't allow water to stay on the surface, like waxing your car, so it may shed the water fast, too, so it can't freeze.
My test for line slickness/cleanness is to pull some line through a clean piece of t-shirt. You will be amazed at the difference between different lines and clean and dirty lines. It applies to the casting as the slicker lines have less resistance through the guides. I also use it on my dry flies after I tie them. Really makes them float high.
Don

·
Banned
974 Posts
I was out the other day and it is getting to be cold. :razz: I do not strip in line in the winter and I keep my line in the water as much as possible. I have paste as well but find that it is not the solution.

I know that I got some grief for suggesting mid bellies on the GL's tribs in an earlier thread, but these are the conditions where mid bellies work for me.

David Dornblaser

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
Dornblaser said:
I know that I got some grief for suggesting mid bellies on the GL's tribs in an earlier thread, but these are the conditions where mid bellies work for me.
David Dornblaser

I think that skagit lines are the answer to all of our problems.:devil:

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sva01 said:
I think that skagit lines are the answer to all of our problems.:devil:

I don't know how anybody could use Short bellies in the conditions we encountered that morning. That GLX dredger that Rambo fishes with the Ti guides doesn't seem to ice up very bad, but anything else would be a lesson in frustration.

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
I agree. I was trying to be sarcastic but that may not have come across. My short belly lines will probably be resting comfortably in the basement for the rest of the winter.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Ti Guides ?

Please tell me about Ti guides.
Does Ti mean titanium alloy?
Why are they superior?
What are normal guides made of? [Such as T&T, Sage, Burky, others]
Has anyone removed old guides and installed Ti guides to get the benefit of reduced guide icing?

Thanks in advance for educating me.

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
Bob Pauli said:
Please tell me about Ti guides.
Does Ti mean titanium alloy?
Why are they superior?
What are normal guides made of? [Such as T&T, Sage, Burky, others]
Has anyone removed old guides and installed Ti guides to get the benefit of reduced guide icing?

Thanks in advance for educating me.

Bob-
Hopefully Rambo will chime in here and maybe have better info. All I know is that they are the standard guides that G.Loomis is using on their rods. Maybe someone that has a better knowledge of rod building components will be able to shed some light on it for us.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sva01 said:
I agree. I was trying to be sarcastic but that may not have come across. My short belly lines will probably be resting comfortably in the basement for the rest of the winter.

Yeah, I figured. I didn't want to agree and suffer the wrath of Rambo.

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
Jamey McLeod said:
Yeah, I figured. I didn't want to agree and suffer the wrath of Rambo.

Someday, when I make big money like him I'll be able to afford premium components on my rods as well! :razz:

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
nickel titanium recoil guides by REC

Well why they are better I dont exactly know but they are made of nickel titanium recoil guides by REC.... they rule yeah they cost extra but last winter I fished one day with Jamey and I dont recall ever de icing my guides I think he did it every other or every third cast. they shed water better or ave some coating or some thing... maybe we have some metal guy out there who can explain. however loomis is only putting them on the high end glx rods so I am gonna be selling off my kispiox rods this winter and replacing them with another glx or 2. well I would trade my "high" paying job to live closer to the river like you two (sva and JM) I almost have my boss convinced that I can work from home over there)now if i could just convince the wife.......
later
E

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.