Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings
I recently acquired this rod from a friend and would appreciate advice/insight with lining it. I use a "Skagit" head (what a great forum!) with another rod (9140) but I think I'd rather use a line of at least 65' with this one. While I see and use the benefits of the shooting heads, my heart is with the longer lines. Therefore, my short list consists of Mid Spey, Grande Spey, Long Delta and Traditional. I like the Long Delta (8/9, on different rod) but am currently leaning toward the Traditional for the DB. I have heard doubts however, as to whether the Airflows will "drive" this weapon. Since skill level is a consideration, I've had this rod out twice now and with a DT-11 sink tip (82'), I'm shooting 15' of dacron.
Thanks in advance.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
David,

Welcome!

Now to your question. The Airflow Traditional 10/11 will work fine on your DB 10/11 rod. Since you already have experience with this line in a lighter line weight, just go up to the 10/11 wt one and shorten your learning curve with the bigger stick. If you want to use the MidSpey or Long Delta, use the 10/11 wt as well. The GrandSpey 10/11 works on this rod; however, it slows it down a little and feels heavy on it. I would use the 9/10 GrandSpey over the 10/11 GrandSpey on it.

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
From personal experience I can tell you the SA XLT 10/11 works beautifully with the Winston DBF 10/11. Also working beautifully is the Loop Quattro 10/11.

Regards,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flytyer, Halcyon

Thanks much guys.
I'll likely go with the Traditional as I have some comfort with the product line and the length seems right for me. Worst case, another donation to the line bag which I rummage through often. I think my line winder gets more use than any one rod. Seems like I cycle between 2 or 3 lines for each. All fun though.
H- I'm not sure I can see the bobber out that far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts