Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Any favorites for 'the new' 9140'? I'm currently using a SA #9, and I think I may be slightly overloaded.

Thanks in advance,
Bright Waters Bright Fish

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I assume you are speaking of the SA Mastery line. Or are you speaking of the SA XLT? The 8/9 XLT will overload the rod; but the 8/9 Mastery is not bad on this rod. The 8/9 MidSpey or Long Delta or the 8/9/10 Windcutter or 8/9 Delta are fine on this rod. If you want the rod to be a little faster, use 7/8 mid-bellies or 7/8/9 Windcutter/Delta lines. The Scandanavian 8/9 or 9/10 lines would work too if you want a very short shooting head style line.

Remember, this is a slow rod that bends into the grip on virtually any length cast.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
TT8/9

is also good for the old brown 9140-4, if you want a slightly faster rod action.

·
Registered
7 Posts
vps9140-4 lines.

I actually asked about multi-tips for this rod any suggestions there,not looking for scandanavian style shooting head system.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sage 9140 VPS

I would suggest a MS with tips. Either the 7/8 or the 8/9 . This rod does not have a lot of power in it so the 7/8 will make it seem faster than it is. If you like to feel the rod load deeper into the butt section with a slightly slower stroke then try the 8/9. Good Luck

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
For what little it is worth, I have a buddy who likes the tri tip Sa 9 wt line, but he is a relative beginer, and I have not tried the combo myself.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
If you are new to spey casting, go with one of the mid-belly lines like the Airflow Long Delta or RIO MidSpey in 8/9. If you have a few years experience spey casting, go with a mid-belly 7/8. And it is best to get the lines in the multi-tip version with sink tips included unless you have been cutting lines and making sink tips for a while.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone

Thanks for your help. The line I'm currently using is the SA tri-tip - not the XLT. I will investigate a little further into midspeys.

Hey Mike C., I'm a little farther north in skeena country. Get down to the central interior now and then, but seldom to the island. It's on the list...

·
Mossback Hillbilly
27 Posts
I use the Airflow Long Delta and have found it to be a serviceable line for this rod. Also have fished the Windcutter, but prefer the Airflow.

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Hey Twohandman I just replied to Mike's post ,the same applies here. I hope it is of some use.

HMMMMM. Skeena huh?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts