Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 1307 and haven't decided on what line I should use. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a Mid Spey 6/7, but would like some input before the output.
Thanks.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Midspey 6/7 is perfect for the rod. For close in work I also like a DT8. That is fishing from 60', hands to fly, and closer. Windcutter 6/7/8 is the match for a short head line.

Airflo long delta 6/7 is too much, as is the midspey 7/8. Those two lines overload the tip and wreck the action. This rod leans more towards a 6/7 instead of a 7/8.

William

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
As usual, Inland and I can't find much to agree on.

I have cast both the 6/7 Long Delta and the 6/7 Midspey on my 1307 and while it is close, I do prefer the Long Delta for two reasons: it doesn't feel quite as heavy on the rod and it shoots line better. After casting both when I got mine last year, I settled on the Airflo.

You can't go wrong with either one though.

·
Registered
889 Posts
According to the specs the Long delta is 61.5' and 550 grains. Midspey 7/8 is 65' and 560 grains. Long delta averages 8.93 grains/foot for the head, midspey is 8.6. Midspey 6/7 is a 57' head and weighs 490 grains. That works out to 8.6 grains/foot.

I cast all three lines on the T&T several different times in consecutive rotation. If you want to feel the difference cast the Airflo first then the midspey 7/8 and finally the midspey 6/7. You will see what I mean about the rod losing its action.

Yes the rod will handle any of the lines (it will probably even handle a midspey 9/10 if you forced the issue). But I feel it comes with a price as it becomes more work to make a consistant, pretty, cast with the midspey 7/8 and long delta 6/7.

A guy asks a question and he can get a range of answers from great casters to complete neophytes. That is the beauty of the public board, how do you sort through all of it??? I just gave the results of my experience with the different lines, now it is up to squach to sort through the BS, spend some dough on a best guess, and hope it is not a mistake.

So with that, the BEST advice is to go down to the local shop and get ahold of demo lines to find out which one works best for your ability and casting style.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed. However I don't think of it as BS but that there are many different styles,techniques and tastes. There never is a definitive answer to the "what line" question. But having the field narrowed down is very helpfull.

I prefer a faster "crisper" action myself and will ask to borrow a friends MS 6/7.

Thanks alot for the input!!

SWB

·
Registered
138 Posts
Line for 1307

The MS 6/7 and this rod...heaven. This rod fishes so much larger than it is when matched with the right line, you'll be amazed. And remember--less is more with this rod. It's easy to overpower this rod so please: buy the lady a drink before you try to get to first base.

BFR

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a funny story about that rod. Was casting it in the parking lot with Nick C when it first came out. I said, " Nick, what the heck line you got on here?"

Nick Says, " Rio WindCutter 10/11/12."

We were only overhead casting, but that is 740 grains of head on a 7-weight, and the rod took it, no problem, and delivered the backing knot as far up the guides as you would want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts