Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I am slowly getting completely addicted with DH-casting, in a lack of getting real casting instruction possibilities, I am trying to get information, and practise when and wherever I just can.
So, there is this rod. T&T 1107.
Recently, I use a SA short spey 7/8, the same line, what I cast with the 1208.
For 15-18 meter switch-type...(err..) casts, roll casts with smaller streamers there is no problem. But I have difficulties to reach a bit further, getting the head a bit more out from the tip. (the head is 15 m long, if I remember correctly). Maybe the line is too heavy for the rod, and sure, my casting skills are very green, but I am courious what are your recommendations, and experiences with this rod. Maybe Rio OB?

Also what are real casting distances with this, and similar "switch" type of rods?

Except big-trout fishing (rainbows in the 3 - 8 lbs range in fast current) I use this rod for fishing for asp (aspius aspius, http://angler-online.anglerwebs.de/Rapfen.htm , http://www.jcpoiret.com/bapw/index.html?page=poissons/aspe.htm ), which is a favourite fish for flyfishers in Eu, and a great fish on streamers. Casting far is not always a must, but certainly not a backdraw. Flies range from smaller 6/8 wets, to streamers tin the 6- 2 range.
thanks for your comments, Peter

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
I built a T&T 1107 from the Horizon blank, virtually identical in feel and power as the DH 1107.

If you are having trouble working the entire head, do not despair. The short rod length presents some casting challenges and requires adjustments (so do long rods). It is a bit harder to move an entire spey head with a short rod, but it works with practice. In time you'll be able to shoot 20-30' more for plenty of fishing distance.

I think your line may be on the heavy side, as you suspect. I use the SA 6/7 short (450 gr + ~ 40 gr working in the rear taper), which gives a medium-light load. The WC 6/7/8 works well (455 gr). The WC 7/8/9 is a little heavy (525 gr). Your SA 7/8 short is 550 gr + ~ 50 gr more in the rear taper - sounds too heavy to me.

a skagit line around 500 grains + 100-150 gr tips is good for heavy work. I take a WF13F (e.g., SA Tarpon or Cortland Big Game 444SL), cut off the front taper at 11/12 wt diameter (leaves 480 gr), and use 10' tips.

overhead I use a WF9 with 35-40' heads.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I will test a few lines on the rod:
SA steelhead taper
SA short head 6/7
Rio OB #9 (?)
WC...

I fished a few times, and practised a bit in the last two weeks, currently using a Teeny Lefty Kreh #8 line, OH casts, most of the time. While the head is too short for speycasts, I finally start to feel the rod, really.
The short spey 7/8 is too heavy. True.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts