Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SH 9'0 loomis GL3 8 wt. rod. I typically indicator fish using a RIO indicator II line ( 8 wt). I fee like I work hard to get my indicator & junk to roll over. Is there a better line I could throw on thos rod?

Welcome and tips or feed back.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Wulff

Ambush

Nuff said

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If an ambush line, what size weight line and bigger question- is there enough line to work with before it goes into the running section?

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Ambush is a terrible line for indicator fishing since the head is only 20' ish, and then the rest is shooting line. You can put a tip on there, but unless you are fishing super close all the time you might have mending issues. It will turn junk over though, for sure. But the match on that rod would be an 8wt ambush (adjust to taste). Super line for a lot of other stuff. The indicator II is a fantastic line! That is what I use on my 10' 8wt and I personally find it handles heavy indicator rigs with ease - but with that one it is usually from a boat, so maybe cheating. If it is just that your junk is too big maybe you could try a longer rod. Personally I never feel any real joy of any kind casting an indicator rig - I'm going take the Calvinist position here and just say we were just meant to suffer in that case. And adjust our technique to make life merely bearable. :-(

There are, on the other hand, such things as mending shooting lines, if you use a head and not an integrated line. They have a fat mending section followed by a shooting diameter section. Maybe get one of those to attach to an ambush head. Steve Godshall makes one ("mendmaster running line" I think he calls it), and if I am not mistaken there are some other commercial ones. As with all lines with a fat mending section your casting distance will suffer a bit, but like I said, God meant us to suffer when indicator fishing!

Now if you want to go all "Unitarian", and experience pure joy, try swinging nymphs instead!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
why not just a regular floating line - tons of folks use regular floating lines with good effect - maybe step up one line weight and maybe look to a double taper if you want control a longer way out. Might think about cutting the front taper back a bit if it does not turn over

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
I like the Ambush also. It's a nymph-taper specific for close, tight situations. So - they are heavy, short, and powerful. 8 wf, or 7 for that matter.

·
Administrator
18,647 Posts
Many, many years ago I did the "indicator thing" and used a DT lined to a full flexing rod. It worked very well. If your rod is fast action, I would line it one weight over rating and slow down a touch.

Mike

·
Registered
249 Posts
For indicator fishing maaybe try andro by scientific angler. Its kinda like half a reversed double taper with a running line. Or get a old short head Spey line I've heard they work well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts