Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any line recomendations for this rod..... both Skagit and "traditional" opinions are appreciated. Will want a line that is versitle, i.e. interchangeable tips.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
545 Posts
One of my favorite rods of all time. It works great with the 7 XLT, SA Short and Mid 7 wt. and the new SA Skagit which will have interchangeable tips. The 1307 was one of the rods that Way and I used when casting prototypes for our part so it will match very nicely. The 678 windcutter works well and I made a custom line that I like a lot for this rod. It is somewhere in-between and short spey and a skagit but very easy and fun to fish. Just take a windcutter 9-10-11 and remove 9' off of the front end of tip two. Or for a un-looped WC 9-10-11, cut back 16' from tip and save for your dry tip. Then from this point (16' back) remove the next 9' and chuck. Put a loop on the end and one on the back end of your dry tip. I also removed the running line back at the color change and fish with either 35 lb. slickshooter or SA .031 orange running line. The running line is fine so the last part is just an option. The custom head without the tip weighs 400 gr.

I hope this helps. If you want a more specific recommendation let me know what kind of fishing you will be doing and I will try to narrow it down a bit.

Cheers,

Greg

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Scott LS 2 7 wt.

The 7 wt. LS 2 is a very fine rod. I agree with Greg, the S.A. 7 wt. short-head and mid-belly line are sweet on this rod. For me, the magic all-around line (in my opinion) for the LS2 7 wt. is the RIO Mid-Spey 7/8 - simply fantastic! - Lawrence

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which size SA Skagit Head?

Thanks for the recomendations.

Greg - Which size SA Skagit Head? I appreciate the custom info, but I have a hard time cutting lines especially this day and age with all the lines - sorry to be a whimp.

Anyone else have any input?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
545 Posts
H2o,

The SA Skagit that I like for the rod is the 450 grain (not including the dry tip). Some may like the 500.

Sorry for the delay,

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts