Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used Sage 9150-4 (beautiful brown and gold) and a Hardy Perfect 4" (1923?-beautiful silver patina) and need a recommendation on a good line. I am new to spey casting and am planning to take a course before heading to the Miramichi for some salmon fishing this summer. I also plan to use the rod for some spring and fall steelhead fishing on medium to large rivers.

Is the Rio Mid-Spey a good idea? What else?

If I go with a Rio should I follow their recommendation as a newbie and go for the 9/10 line or should I take a chance and go for the 8/9?

I am an experienced single-hand rod caster.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Grand River in Ontario that run through Guelph. Blue ribbon trout water, catch and release.

Do you know it?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Rio makes a great product. Simon is Simon and I'm certain that there are not many spey casters that profess his ability. I would highly recommend that if you go with a Rio product and plan to fish an off the shelf line you go with his recommendations. If you plan on cutting and splicing there may be other Rio options and if you plan on going with another brand there may be other options. From my experience, Simon's (Rio's) recommendations are spot on with the rods on their chart and you will not be dissapointed. If your casting style is RADICALLY different than the norm... everything I wrote is out the window.
Chris

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
I fish a brownie 9150-4 as well. I throw an XLT and LOVE it. for summer/fall fishing I go with a 7/8. The XLT is a very heavy line and the 7/8 is just sweet to cast as a dry line on that rod. This time of year, I have an 8/9 XLT cut for tips. This set up works very well. You will struggle to learn how to handle a long belly while learning to spey cast as well - But I like to make stuff harder than it has to be. At this point - I am glad I did. The Rio Mid works very well on the 9150 as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts