Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I own an older Sage 9126 (#9-10, 12,6´) and fished it with the relatively short Loop shooting heads.
Now I want to try out a Rio Windcutter or Midspey. What line do you think is better suited for my relative short rod.
I´ll fish the rod for steelhead and Coho and need a line (or lines) for different depths. The rio Windcutter or Midspey Interchangebles looks interesting. What are your experiences withe these lines? Is the feeling to cast an Interchangable with floating tip the same like casting a full floating line? Can I use sink tips with a full floating Windcutter or Midspey?
A lot of questions, hope you can help me.
Greetings from germany
Stefan

·
Registered
134 Posts
>The rio Windcutter or Midspey Interchangebles looks
> interesting. What are your experiences withe these lines? Is
>the feeling to cast an Interchangable with floating tip the same >like casting a full floating line?

For me, yes - I have two Midspeys with interchangeable
tips - but I'm not an experienced caster.

> Can I use sink tips with a full floating Windcutter or Midspey?

My guess is that you would be better off with something
like the AirFlo sinking leaders.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Stefan,

The discontinued Sage 9126-3, designed, I believe, by Goran Andersson of Sweden, is one of the all-time great rods. I prefer the Rio WindCutter Spey w/Tips #8-9-10; I like a fast rod, so the WWF #9-10-11 might suit your tastes a little better if you prefer a more positive "load."

I find the Rio MidSpey a tad too long for rods under 13'. The WindCutter, while applicable to all rod lengths, is particularly well-suited to the Sage 9126-3.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts