Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new member here. Looking for a line for my 8124. I came acrossed this rod under odd circumstances. I didn't know they had ever made one in the 12ft4in size, seems pretty fast. I have tried the Orvis 2hander 8wt, a plain old 9wt steelhead taper from SA, and under the advice from a friend the 9wt clouser from RIO(didn't come close). I fish a Rio 7wt atlantic salmon/steelhead on my 6126, and love it for the smaller west MI streams. Looking at their website I no longer see the line listed.

any help appreciated.

Jamey

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More

I should have added that I "usually" am fishing smaller rivers. The PM, The Rogue, etc. I have also been know to use some unorthodox techniques, that would probably make some members on here cringe a bit. Therefore I have been playing with the shorter lines, and don't really feel that using a full on "spey" line would benefit me. Also not looking for sink tips. I have a 300grain Rio DC spooled that I use in those situations.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Choices

If you were closer to a shop like River Run or The Flyfishing shop it would be easy to try a number of lines and get the right one. It sounds like you want a windcutter or skagit style line, which incidentally work well for tips. There should be some board members close enough to try some of their lines to get in the right ballpark.

Look at the Skagit line thread in techniques.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Jamey,

The 8124 is nearly identical to the 8126 with the difference being the length, 12'4" instead of 12'6". It should work very well with the 7/8/9 RIO Scandanavian line (shooting head). If you want to use a single hand line, try a 10 or 11 wt saltwater taper or steelhead taper; however, the short-belly spey lines really don't have a longer belly than the steelhead taper single hand lines and a 7/8/9 short-belly spey line would work perfectly since this rod was designed for the shorter lines.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Presentation affects line choice

aka 1219?

I fish the waters you fish. What presentation are you wanting to use this rod for. It might help to know how you see using it differently from your 6126, which I assume you're using to present eggs and nymphs under indicators. Talk to me.
Carl

·
Registered
630 Posts
see the Tackle section of spey

look at the thread 'What line for my Sage'--guys got a Sage about like yours.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
carl

Yes, using it for almost identical metods as the 6126 also for salmon, and at times when steelhead are more active than a 6wt can handle.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Your pick also depends

on how you present and mend. Some folks like to fish indicators with a bass or pike taper--short belly and little front taper. If that's your game, I'd suggest either a 35' shooting head on running line or a bass bug taper about 11 wt. I'd suggest either a steelhead taper or a mid-spey floater if you prefer a longer belly and taper. An important issue is what rivers you want to use it on. As it's a Euro style rod, you'd need to overline it to fish in the 40-55 foot ranges common on the Rogue. You might try the Mid-Spey 8/9. Since you already have it, did the 9wt Steelhead taper underload the rod?
Carl

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you splice your own lines, you can build the line that I have for this rod. 13Wgt saltwater line, cut it where the diameter is the same as a 9wgt DT singline hand line. Cut your 9wgt DT line at 15ft and 21ft. the 15ft is for overhand - and this rod was built for that type of casting. 21ft is for spey casting. Get your self 9wgt sink tips 15ft long in type III and V or VI.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
8124 Line

I have used this rod for years(this year I'm useing CND). Take a salt water shooting head(30ft. 13wt. or 14wt.) When the taper end get down to .060 place you loop ther. Cut the factory loop off add a 10wt. peice 1.5ft. then run a running to that. If you know how to spice line. Slick shooter 50lbs. is the best by far for running line. Try it you'll like it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts