Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks to all of you who responded to my prior posts regarding this rod.

I have an older SA 7-weight Steelhead Taper line. Hvae anu=y of you used this line with a Sage 7136-4 (green) rod? If you have, what comments do have regarding that combination.

I have yet to learn how to use a two-handed rod and thought I might be able to learn the basics with that line and then decide on a more appropriate line. (As I write this I get the feeling that I should just go out and buy a Windcutter and start learning with that line.)

Thanks again for your comments.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Bubba (Bob S of Seattle) used to fish that SA mastery line on the T&T 13ft 8wt and could throw it a mile. I have an 8wt SA steelhead mastery line and could give it a toss on my 7136-4 to tell you what I think, but that's an 8wt verses your 7wt.

I've fished the Rio 6-7-8 WC (w/ tips) on the 7136-4 and like it. I recently bought a 7/8 mid-spey to try a longer head on the rod. I will let you know what I think of that when I get a chance to throw it.

Already tried heavier mid-spey lines on my other rods - it casts very well on the 12'6" euro sage 9wt and the 10150-4 10wt 15 foot as well.

I wouldn't hurt to try it out for sh*ts and giggles. My guess is that it would be too light but you could certainly fish small with it. To load the blank enough to reach the other bank you might consider other lines.

The rod is so slow you won't overhand cast with it too effectively IMHO.

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
A 7 weight is light for the green Sage 7136 - doable - but not a learners line as it will not load well. An 8 or 9 suits me better, but again, that rod was made for a Triangle Taper 8/9 (now called TT8). Casts MUCH nicer than the windcutters on that rod.

A search under 7136 will get you more...

·
JD
3,609 Posts
7136-green

Fred and I have both tried the 6/7 XLT line on that rod. It does very well both in close and at distance. The S.A. XLT line has a long front taper and does not handle extremely large flies (not on a 6/7 line anyway) or two fly rigs well and will get blown around a little by strong winds but other than that, it casts and mends beautifully.

The older S.A. 7 wt steelhead taper line that you mentioned, is that for a single handed rod? If so, forget it. Not enough line to even begin to load the rod.

·
1,771 Posts
Loco -

Thanks for the tip, I am all over that TT8. Time to give a sponsor some business :)

The addiction is getting worse!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Although I don't own this rod because I prefer faster rods, I have two very good friends who own it. One of them prefers to cast the RIO 7/8 Midspey on it because it keeps the rod very slow, and he likes slow rods. It feels overloaded to me when I cast it with the 7/8 Midspey.

The other friend uses either the 6/7 Midspey (his favorite on this rod) or the TT8 on it. He prefers the 6/7 Midspey though and rarely uses the TT8 any longer with this rod. I like the rod better with the 6/7 Midspey.

However, keep in mind that I prefer fast rods and fish the GLX 13 foot 8/9 in the summer. The 7136 is far too slow for my tastes. A third friend never fishes his 7136 anymore and uses the 7141 with a 7/8 Midspey now because as his spey casting skills have increased, he has changed to a preference for a faster rod.

·
Registered
21 Posts
From the post on ARC 1509

At the same time I picked up the Long Delta for my old 7136 and the rod really likes this line. This is the first line that this rod has ever loved. Used it on the Deschutes last night (broke the tip section on the 1509 the day before). With strong up river winds (river left) and using the snap T, I was able to consistanly make 60' to 70' casts. I have had this rod for many years and would never use it when it was windy but things have change now.

Dennis

·
1,771 Posts
I'm sure this is all about preferences, but...

I've had the 7136-4 for many years as well, Swallows Nest peak years vintage. I will be first to admit I love using it but would only occasionally feel capable casting it for distance, switching lines a lot seeking what the rod wanted because it's such a noodle.

But the first line it loved for me was the 7/8 midspey, which doesn't feel overloaded as long as I keep the energy in the stroke throughout. With less than the whole 65ft head, it's a finesse machine, tip casts and sharp piercing loops from either side with ease.

Shooting 10-20 feet past the head is a challenge in loading and timing and I can only do it on the strong side but with a big wide digging sweep and a patient come-around after the kickout, I've been getting consistent with both the single spey and snake roll in shooting well beyond the back taper. Still surprises me when it pulls all the loops straight, but it's been happening. I probably just hexed myself to the point of no recovery with that one ;)

Personally, I find it much harder to cast this rod than a faster rod when using a mid-spey style line. The motion has to be aggressive enough to feel the cork bend but yet timing has to be patient enough to let it catch up to itself.

I've used it for a while but only lately am I learning how to take what it has to offer.

That being said I would love a rod that is a little bit faster, a little bit more powerful both in terms of moving line and fish.

How am I gonna tell the wife I wanna buy the 7141? :devil:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Juro,

I got the opposite problem. My wife wants the 7141. The reason this is a problem is that she used to like my old brown 9140 but I made the mistake of having her use my 10' 6weight GLX several times for bass this summer. Now she likes faster rods and would like the 7141 for a Christmas gift.

And my 11 year old also likes the 7141! I made the mistake of letting him cast one belonging to a friend. I told him he could have the St. Crois 13' 7/8 that we got for his 15 year old brother on his birthday last May. But the 11 year old says he doesn't want the same rod as his brother. He'll get the St. Crois right now anyway and we know he will like it.

Oh well, a man could have worse problems.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
My Favorites

I like the 7/8 midspey and the 8/9 TT with a few feet cut off the front. Both work well in the 80 foot range. A friend from Canada fishes this rod with the 7/8 midspey and has no trouble going over 90 feet. It sure is fun to fish it.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Gad, with everyone wanting (needing?) the 7141 maybe

we could get them cheaper by the dozen. Can someone post the 'suggested retail' on these rods?
tnx
fae

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
MSR for 7141

Flytyer I was really srupprised at Fred asking this question. I figured he already knew exactly what these rods cost. ;)

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
MJC,

Perhaps he is like me and abhors paying suggested retail for anything. I believe a retailer should make a resonable profit, but a 40%-50% markup on everything is not a reasonable profit in my book. The manufacturers don't make any more whether the retailer marks it up 20% or 50%. And yes, I know that the high end manufacturers like Sage don't want retailers to sell for less than the suggested retail.

But this has more to do with the manufacturer desiring to 'protect' a retailer from 'unfair competition' from other retailers selling at less than suggested retail. I guess it is tme for a new thread on suggested retail.

J

·
0 Posts
A new thread? One of the refreshing things about the Spey Clave is that this rant normally doesn't surface every week like on some other sites. What people like to ignore is that fly shop owners aren't just trying to make some money at this, they are trying to make a living. You've said in another thread that what would be wrong if some of these shops go out of business? Well, judging from the discussions at the Denver Retailer Show that's just where about one-third of the US fly shops are headed if things don't pick up REAL soon. The same can be said for several manufacturers. The one thing I noticed at the show this year that was not nearly as prevalent in previous years was desperation. I believe that explains why several products will have lower price points this year. Though that may be a temporary benefit to the consumer, it is not a sign of a healthy industry. Competition can keep prices in line and can even cause prices to come down, but this is not competition-it is, in many cases, panic solutions to cash flow problems. This sport will simply not be the same if most of the purchases have to come from discounters. Where will you find the free Saturday morning casting classes, free information on the latest hatches and river levels, and help matching up the correct spey line to your rod and/or casting style? You may not need these services, but others do and without them they would never really get started in the right direction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts