Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12' 5wt Sage Ultra light Spey rod. I have not yet decided as to what line to use with it. I plan to use it for dry line summer run steelhead. Any suggestions? How about the windcutter 5/6 or someone said a Scientific Anglers Steelhead taper.
Thanks,

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hello,

The windcutter 5/6 is pretty solid. I cast about 1/2 dozen lines on the rod and liked that one the best (Better than the SA steelhead tapers).

William

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sage 12' "5 weight"

I've tried many lines with the rod, including the Windcutter 5/6, Midspey 6/7, Sage line made for that rod (worst) and others. Believe it or not, the best line I found was an SA Steelhead Taper WF 9. Casts very well, and the long head (70+ ft., including long back taper) is nice for mending. The line numbers aren't comparable between standard and spey lines, but I was still surprised at the standard 9 weight. I did try the same line in #8, and it wasn't as good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Line for Sage 5120

I put at Windcutter 5/6 on the rod, based on Speybum's advice in an earlier thread and it seems to be a good workable combination.
I find the rod really easy to overpower, ( not surprising I guess) and it is probably helping my technique ( which needs a bit of help :rolleyes: by making me work on timing and finesse not power.
I had not thought of trying a SA Steelhead taper on the rod, I have a WF 8 spooled up so will give it a go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a similar situation with a T&T 10' 6 weight. I've tried the 5/6 Windcutter with poor results. I'm going to try a Triangle Taper steelhead line next. Maybe an 8 weight?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts