Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Orvis Trident, 14', 3 piece, 9 wt., tip flex 12 currently lined w/ a Hardy mach 1 9 wt. floater and am having problems loading the rod. Any suggestions from folks familiar w/ this rod regarding a more appropriate line will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
The Hardy Mach 1 10/11 will be much better for you. The Hardy Mach 1 9/10 only weighs 463 grns while the 10/11 weighs 648 grns. I had of those rods here for a while and something in the 650 range seemed to work best for me.
If you have any friends with a 9/10 Delta or 9/10/11 WC borrow one for a test drive before you drop the $$.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MJC and Sean, thanks for the reply. When I got the rod I was given three new Hardy lines by the Hardy rep. It was (is) quite a gift but the floater was definitely too light. Not wanting to spend $ on a bad choice I thought it wise to ask for help. Since there are absolutely no spey casters here near me in central PA to borrow a line from, I'll most likely buy a Windcutter 9/10/11. I saw Simon at the NJ fly show this past Sunday but he was very busy so didn't get a chance to quiz him on a better line choice. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.