Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to find an old (1998?) Winston 15' 10wt spey rod. Made prior to the LT Spey series.

I am looking for line suggestions for the rod. I am a beginning caster and have used Rio WC in the past. I like the multi-tip flexibility of that line.

If you had to put a Rio line on this old Winston, would you use a Windcutter, Midspey or an Accelerator?

Andy S.

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I couldn't find anything on a search of the archives.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Nice rod

I have had several of the Winston 15 for a 10.
I have had great luck with the following lines 10 Mastery Speyline
10/11 Cortland Double Spey and Rio Windcutter in a 9/10/11
Good 80 feet with no problem.
Let us know how you are doing.
:cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the tips. :) (pun intended)

I haven't bought anything yet. I heard about the river closures in the Puget Sound. Unfortunately they picked all of the rivers that are close to me. That may close me down for the season. My pregnant wife is not keen on the idea of me driving to the ONP for the weekend and leaving her with the other 2 kids. I can only get out for a day at most.

I am now considering the Rio Midspey and an SA Mastery line that is coming out soon. Most advice that I received suggests that this particular rod loads better with a long-belly line.

I am glad to here that a lot of people like this rod. I took a gamble that because it is a Winston that it would be a good one. It is tough to buy a good rod that fits your casting style if you haven't developed a spey casting style yet.

Andy S.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
ps, this rod is very good for learning. it is soft enough so that you have to go slow and it gives you feedback. my 18 yr old son learned on a 10150-4 sage. he always used too much muscle and speed, especially when attempting a " chicks dig it". i put the winston in his hands and everything slowed and finese appeared. for the first time he understood how to make the rod do the work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So no Results

After getting all of your advice, I did nothing.

The rivers are closed and we went on short hours at work.

I figured that I would buy the MidSpey multi-tip line later this summer when things picked up.

Where is everyone fishing in WA if you don't go the the ONP?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Midspey

Andy S, What size of a Midspey-Tips do you want? I think Ryan
(Nrthfrk16) has a 9/10 for sale at a very reasonable price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts