Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new Meiser 1356 rod and I'm looking for a line for it. I would like to get a line with tips and was wondering if someone has used this rod and knows which line works best with this rod. I have heard that there is a gentleman in this forum, who goes by the name of homer2handed, that has cast several lines on this rod. If possible, could you respond about which line you think works best. Anyone else have any suggestions? I look forward to your response.

I have a Wincutter 789 with tips that I have been casting on this rod. It works, but it feels like it has been overloading this rod.

Thanks.
Joe

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hey Mr. Ballard,

Good to see you on the Forum ...};^).....!

Homer2handed is Brian Simonseth, and he will probably step in here at some point.

He has just balanced the same 1356 with a number of lines, and can build you a Skagit system specific for her.

I think that you will find that SA floater that your friend in Redding designed will deliver quite similar to Brian's tip system.

You may consider mentioning this floating line to Brian as well.

Lots of balanced grained, off-the-shelf lines will work very well on the 1356...But
I think your right in that the 7/8/9 mentioned is a bit much grainage for this rod.

We did initally talk about the Rio Mid Spey 6/7 for her... This line does balance nicely, and is quite versatile.

...But I really think Brian is the guy to talk to for balancing a specific tip system line !!!

Meiz

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
I found that this grain weight work the best with this rod, just got back from a fishing trip.

Now the dry line:
SA Spey Short Head 6/7 47ft. head 450 grains *
Windcutter 6/7/8 54’6” head 455 grains
Hardy Mach 1 + 9/10 47.5ft head 463 grains
Rio Midspey 6/7 65ft. head 490 grains

Sink-tip Lines:
“Skagit” line (Home made 450 – 480 grains) with Ed Ward style sink-tips*
Rio Scan Head 7/8 with tips

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Now the dry line:
SA Spey Short Head 6/7 47ft. head 450 grains *
Windcutter 6/7/8 54’6” head 455 grains
Hardy Mach 1 + 9/10 47.5ft head 463 grains
Rio Midspey 6/7 65ft. head 490 grains

Sink-tip Lines:
“Skagit” line (Home made 450 – 480 grains) with Ed Ward style sink-tips*

In your hands, it appears that lines that have a head weight of 450 to 490 grains work.

This appears to be a lot more helpful than any of the 6 to whatever weights specs the lines were sold under.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Being a bit 'repititive' here, but suspect The Meiz has a first!

Several of Bob's rods are no longer "rated" as a 6 this, 8 that or a 9/10'ish. He's posting recommended 'grain weights' on the rob butt section. All the 'numbers' above point to this being a very good decission on his part.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Ed Ward style sink tips?

Help me out here, I know Ed is a great fisherman, is there some type of sink type out there I don't know about? I believe Ed is famous for splicing T-14 to floating sections to keep length and weight the same across various sink rates. Is that what you mean? And, if so, what is the proper 'formula' for the 13' 5/6?

Thanks, John

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Ed posted this on Trout Spey Lines before he left.
This is one of Ed Ward design lines that would work on this rod, Meiser 1356

“Starting from the back end of the line - 22.75" of 10 weight, 35" of 11 weight, 94" of 14 weight, 85.75" of 12 weight, 86" of 11 weight. This makes up the belly. I would suggest building it one foot longer (on the front end) and then you could trim back if it feels heavy. The weight I shoot for is 406 grains. The floating tip that works phenomenally on this belly is 8' 10" cut from the front of a number 9 line, weight = 82 grains. The sinktip I have been using is 8' of Airflo Custom Cut 200, weighing in at around 80 grains.”

JGS
All my sink-tips are the same length but weigh in at different weights.
Like you said Ed splices in floating line to T-14, some with 4 foot of T-14 and some with 8 foot of T-14. The lengths are all the same but the weight is different!

·
Registered
498 Posts
lines

I will be trying several lines on the 13' 5/6 shortly. I have a #8 DT and a 9DT that I think will be great on this rod. I think the 9 will work well for short 15 to 50 ft nymphing and the 8 for swinging. I also have a bunch of other lines to try.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Skilly

·
fly on little wing
1,118 Posts
DT lines

Skilly,

Your choices are very similar to what I tried.

I liked the DT8F with the 13' 5/6.
I liked the DT9F with the 13' 6/7.

I had both lines marked at set fishing distances to identify the number of grains.

I bought the 13' 6/7.
I'm using a 6/7 MidSpey with tips with this rod now and going after big river smallies.

This is a fun rod to cast and more importantly fish.

Gary

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Trout/ lt steelhead tips

I believe Ed Ward is using 8 feet of Airflo custom cut 200 for the trout style speys. This weighs 80 grains and balances the line well that Brian talked about. For the same length/weight and a slower sink rate you can make up tips with 6 feet of custom cut and 2 feet of 11 wt, 4 feet of custom cut and 4 feet of 11 weight. This gives the same casting dynamics with different sink rates. If you give it a try, I think you will like it.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
I had pleasure of fishing with Ted this last week and he made up Ed’s Trout spey line. For his Meiser 5/6/7 11’7” a very nicely splice line. His line looks really good going through the air nice, with a tight loop!
:smokin:

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Just had to add my 2 cents worth here. I have had this rod a couple of weeks now and after running around 10 different lines on it I feel that the all around finest line, and THE line I cast with this rod now, is the Airflo long delta 6/7 multi tip. If you like to fish poly leaders the standard (green) Delta 6/7 with poly leaders is very sweet. I have yet to build my skagit line for it.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
What are gr/ft of the 12, 13, and 14 wt lines used above?

I'd like to think its simply 12, 13, 14 gr/ft, but I have a WF11F that weighs 12.4 gr/ft, and a WF12F that weighs 14 gr/ft

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
SSPey said:
What are gr/ft of the 12, 13, and 14 wt lines used above?

I'd like to think its simply 12, 13, 14 gr/ft, but I have a WF11F that weighs 12.4 gr/ft, and a WF12F that weighs 14 gr/ft

This is the level line Aaron sells at speyshop.com. It's where I bought mine. I don't think the guys are using WF lines to build these Skagit heads but if you can match the GPF of what you have to this then you'll be able to mimmick their tapers. For easy experimentation without the splicing hassle you can use 50# braided kevlar butt material to connect your sections together (will fit over a slightly bigger line I'm told than the Gudebrod, Redshed has it, I believe) until you get it dialed.

This is from the chart on speyshop.com:

10 wt * 9.5 grains per ft.
11 wt 11.5 grains per ft.
12 wt 14.5 grains per ft.
13 wt 15.5 grains per ft.
14 wt 17.5 grains per ft.
15 wt 18.5 grains per ft.
16 wt 20.0 grains per ft.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just for fun I put a new 7/8 grandspey (700 gr @ 75') on my 1356 and it had no problem with the whole head. The rod seems to cast any line!
[The new 7/8 grandspey is a 7 1/2 wt by the new standard (mine is 680 gr @ 70').]

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Lines...

I have a Meiser "experimental" that is 13' and rated at 5/6 - awesome stick! I would guess that it would be very similar to the rod that you have as far as grain weight capacity goes (maybe Bob can chime in here). For me, in a Skagit mode, 480 grains is a primo line weight. A very "quick and easy" sinktip system can be put together using the following:

- Skagit 400 for the "belly"
- Airflo CCT200 sinktip material. This stuff weighs around 10 grains per foot and has a sinkrate of around 7" per second if i recall correctly.

So, if you lop off a section of the CCT200 at 8' and add this to your Skagit 400, you now have a total line weight of 480 grains. This 8', "pure" CCT200 tip is your "baseline" for length and weight considerations in constructing other sinktips for this system. For sinktips of a lesser length, splice in a section of 11 weight floater (@11.5 grains per foot) to make up any differences in length. For example, to construct a 6' sinktip, splice in two feet of 11 weight floating line onto 6' of the CCT200. This will give you a sinktip that has 6' of sinking material, plus 2' of floating material, for a total length of 8'. The overall weight of this sinktip will be just slightly more than the "base" 8' sinktip made entirely of CCT200, perhaps by 5 grains or so, but close enough to be considered the "same" in a casting capacity. By keeping all sinktips the same overall length and weight, casting dynamics will remain pretty similar regardless of what tip you are using.

Bear in mind that though this is a highly functional setup, it will not be as "smooth" as lines that have been designed with higher degrees of taper.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
The Meiser 1356 is a slightly modified Burkie/Anderson 1336/3. I've been fishing it for a few years now, and settled on a RIO 550 + 10-13' tips of T-14 (or other 12 wt) in winter. This is a pretty fast rod, and stiff in the lower end, and the extra grains help maintain a continuous load from sweep to shoot. When really working for distance, I can throw line back into the D (V) loop to get more juice and the rod handles it fine. This is a strong rod! I cast off the top half with 6/7 floaters in summer. I have a suspicion RA that you've got a different blank there. A 400 gr skagit belly barely gets this rod happeneing.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yep,

Steve is right on that.

This is a blank that has a Gary Anderson design history, with Burkie doing the roll-up.

Vintage on that blank dates back 4 or 5 years I'd say: A classic progressive tapered, tip action blank with a very broad grain window ... Albeit probably more of a 6/7wt rod.

We all used this taper for a while, and it was a generational development design to Gary's present very sweet 5/6 wt rods.

The 13'0" 5/6 blank that Ed has is really quite different in bottom 1/3 deflection, and more true as a 5/6.

Much more of a through taper, with flex felt nicely into the cork under full line load, maintaining a fast/medium fast recovery, progressive action overall.

Net bottom 1/3 deflection on Ed's rod (compared to Steve's) is plus 2%, with each percent being 50 grains of grain load carrying capability as per that section.

Defintion: Bottom third is regressed <> More flex (deflection)

Also, Ed's is a conversion rod; A bit of a different concept.

4 pc 10'6" switcher with a targeted grain window of 250 to 400 grains.
5 pc 13'0" with a targeted grain window of 350 to 550 grains.

Allowing the use of both a 10'6' switcher and a 13'0' rod in one package, taking the switch rod concept another step in diversity.

Thanks for sharing all the line info Ed, it really helps a lot.

Meiz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts