Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve been using light scandi heads exclusively for spey casting my trout rods, and while I love the casting, I do find it a bit limiting in terms of chucking some heavier cone head or similar flies. I use trout speys with 240-270 scandi heads.

Wondering what folks are using for heavier stuff on light rods.

I`m considering a 280 grain Speydictator, mostly because I am an Airflo fan. Also, interested in the 300 grain Airflo Switch Streamer full line. Anyone using either of these line for swinging or stripping on a light trout spey or switch.

Tom

·
Registered
539 Posts
line

I have a 5wt trouter that I couldn't quite tune in, then gave Steve a call. He wasn't familure with the stick so it was trial and error. I have a Scandiod and skagit to huck the big bugs but haven't had a chance to try Airflo's streamer line

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
i like tng casting, and at least lightly weighted flies up to #2 so i throw a 32'390gr scandi much of the time. when i throw heavy 5" sculpin patterns, i use a 475 skagit short w/ t14 out of neccesity. even then, continuous motion loading is required to keep the fly at the surface. i have lighter rods, but they dont get alot of exercise.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My heavier trout rod is a Z-Axis 7110, and for throwing the big heavy stuff I use a 425 Skagit short, various T tips, mono shooting line...handles big cone-head rabbit strip sculpin monstrosities...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Tom, go to Steve for this! He has made me some skandit lines from 227gr to 330gr for my light trouters which I have no problem tossin sculpins and leech patterns.

Mark

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I mostly use a SGS scandi head, but for meat I fall back to a couple SA single hand skagit heads- 300 and 320. Not sure they still make them, but SGS could roll something up easily.

A buddy is swearing by the ambush on his little 3 wt echo.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Skagit

...And he has, just got another skagit, 370 grn @ 22.3' and should throw tips up to 110 grn...Steve said send it back of you cant get T-11 to fly.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
I use a beulah skagit 300 and it works for any heavy cone heads plus tips

I'm like you, I use light Scandi but the Beulah is handy if required

I've also found airflow 300 Scandi throws a large cone head well too

·
Registered
212 Posts
As most are suggesting a compact Skagit taper in the 300gr range would probably be what you are looking for. Also, you might think about your leader. If you have too light of a leader you will have trouble transferring the energy from the head to turn over the fly, so a poly leader or stiffer mono might help.

Joe

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,307 Posts
Hi guys,

Line for heavy flies = heavy line. I use my regular rods, same as used for silvers and other fish for trout fishing because they have heavy lines and will throw whatever I want. I don't use the short head lines because when fishing for trout I need to be able to mend and to steer the fly as well as possible. With the short heads like Skagit lines there is little that can be done as far as line control goes because of the heavy head and light running line. Some say they don't enjoy catching smaller fish on heavier rods and lines but I have no problems with it. My lightest trout rigs are 11 1/2 foot seven weights and they have 475 grain Elixir lines on them. These are perfect for small to medium waters and distances and will throw a big Sculpin with the Sculpin Helmet on them and a section of T 14 in the leader. Once I am looking at larger trout waters I change to heavier lines & rods with 55 to 65' foot bellies for control. Those lines weigh between 600 and 800 grains and will cast whatever you tie to them. With the longer bellies they also allow for me to be involved with my mending and steering thing.

I spend more time fishing for trout than I do salmon anymore and when I find the one I've been looking for I'll be glad for the heavier outfit. The heavier rods make casting easier with weighted flies too so it adds up to a better time fishing :)

For me that is,

Ard

·
Registered
107 Posts
looking

I`ve been using light scandi heads exclusively for spey casting my trout rods, and while I love the casting, I do find it a bit limiting in terms of chucking some heavier cone head or similar flies. I use trout speys with 240-270 scandi heads.

Wondering what folks are using for heavier stuff on light rods.

I`m considering a 280 grain Speydictator, mostly because I am an Airflo fan. Also, interested in the 300 grain Airflo Switch Streamer full line. Anyone using either of these line for swinging or stripping on a light trout spey or switch.

Tom
I am looking for exactly line for the same purpose and considering the speydicator too.
I rigged up my Echo 4wt fiberglass switch for the first time this morning, 25# OPST and Beulah Elixir V2 250 head. The combo cast really well, testing with various IPS Single hand Airflo and Orvis 7ft polyleaders casting from Zebra midge #14, prince #10 bead head to unweighted #8 intruder.
Started to struggle to cast #8 Sculpzilla, it was castable but pretty messy.

I am wondering if 280grain speydicator will have enough muscle to cast that sculpzilla and to swim a mouserat.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
almost forgot, just thought to fish it again yesterday. not for heavy, but heavier flies than a scandi, a rio short head spey chopped for tips, is a great streamer line. easier getting the head to roll back out, and the 42' length makes for great line control. only goes down to 430 grains tho.... i was really disappointed in the speydicator myself, but then, it was made for boober fishing anyway. airflow supposedly has an integrated skagit type line for lighter rods coming.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Rage

You'd think airflo rage compact 300 grain would be a good choice? I think that light echo rod will be able to do an extra of 30 grain but with SH polyleaders or just regular mono loaders.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Speydicator

I have used this quite a bit in lobber-fishing, and it works great for nymphing or tossing stone dries and big foamies in wind-swept places (Echo SR and Glass 4wts, 280 Speydicator). I know they claim that this line is an all-arounder and that you can add tips, but it's not pretty. It'll do in a pinch, sure, but you'd be better off with a streamer style line or skagit for big stuff.

The new Airflo switch streamer line looks to be in the same vein as the Ambush lines, which work awesome for me with polys and big flies. I like to feel the fly bounce along the bottom a little, so my flies are usually weighted in addition to the fast sink poly. On the above rods I use the Ambush #8 290gr in both floater and intermediate. The switch streamer line at 300gr is not that far off...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rio Skagit Max Short

I throw a 225 skagit max short with light (t-8) imow tips on my 12' 2/3 ARE. It tosses weighted flies and bunny leaches like a champ. These tips turn over the heavier stuff and also help when the wind is up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Keep looking for OPST Skagit lines. They should have them for sale next month. 3-10wt short Skagit heads. I cast a prototype. All I can say is WOW! Just the ticket for your trout junk.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just a note about the OPST Skagit lines. They are unique. Shorter and lighter than most others. They are also delicate compared to any other Skagit heads I've cast. I'm still able to turn over tips and weighted flies well. Jerry French explains the concept well. I'm a believer!

·
I only have 2 hands
176 Posts
I have the Speydicator 280 gr. It is a real hoot. It throws everything within the trout fly realm. And can be tipped with all manner of trout versi,poly,ultra long mono or flouro. Heavy to light it's good.Cut out some of the level mending zone if you want more shooting than mending capabilities. I did not do this though because I am Mendy Menderson.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts