Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
fly on little wing
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Once again another question regarding which line to use. I thank the board for their patience. I have reviewed the archives and I could not come to any conclusions, so here I am posting a question.

I am looking at the Rio WC or MS with tips. I will be mostly using the type 3 or type 6 tip. My fishing will be as close as 30' and the max will be as far as I can cast. Most fishing will be within 50-70'.

I am leaning towards the MS 8/9 with tips even though I read that Dec Hogan designed this stick for the WC 9/10/11. All comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Petri Heil,

voodoofly

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
voodoofly, Over the past couple of years I've come to really appreciate and have great confidence in Simon's line recommendations. I think that would be a great place to start your research. These are posted in several places such as Rio's website, maybe Dana's Speypages, and Speybum's website which is here:
http://www.speyshop.com/rio_spey_line_recommendations_
fo.htm

Take care, MJC

·
fly on little wing
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MJC,

Thanks. I have used this. I wanted to get an opinion from other people who have casted/fished this rod. I guess my question really is would I be better off with the MS or WC.

Thanks

voodoofly

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
VoodooFly, I think the question you ask in your last post is only something you can answer based on your casting style. However using the info you provided in your first post I can't see that you would need anything but a Windcutter length head to do the fishing you describe. What lines have you cast on this rod so far?

·
fly on little wing
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MJC,

I just bought it and I will need to line it. All of my other lines would be too light with the exception of the DC300. You're right, I'm typically fishing WC length but I'm thinking the rod would still load OK with the MS. There may be occassions that I'll need to reach out to the fish. Too many choices, not enough spare cash.

voodoofly

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
VoodooFly, I didn't answer your original question so I could tell you this but in light of your last post I will tell you I have Airflo Delta & Delta Long rental lines at a nominal fee so you can do some testing without going completely broke while trying to decide what line weights you like. The details are on the spey line page of my website. I decided to do this because I myself have been in the same position you are concerning what lines I like.
Take care, MJC http://www.redshedflyshop.com/SPEY.html

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
1409 flylogic line

I used that rod for 17 days in june for springs and steelhead.I used a WC 10-11-12. worked fine.threw my usual rio type 8 in a 10 weight cut to 10 ft in length.INHO anything less wont give a load that will have as much jump off the rod.that is the line Dec would use!!!beau

1 - 7 of 7 Posts